Makita dcs500

mattfx

Hi all, my first post on here! My makita dcs500 has a knackered piston (scored) and a repair centre that looked at it wants £280+ to fit a new cylinder kit. Ive priced the parts up from makita and the genuine kit is near on £200 and I can get a newer dcs5000 for a little over £300. So i was wondering if there are any after market cylinder kits available for it as i have seen a few on ebay but none to suit my saw? Any help appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Matt

I don't know where you would get a new cylinder, there are companies that will rehone and sleeve the cylinder for a price, but it usually is best only if you've got a new piston so that they can do it right.

The most important thing is to know Why the piston became knackered in the first place, was it Run Lean? or did you buy it like that? If you don't know what caused the piston to become knackered in the first place, then you may well be just putting a new piston in a saw that has a fault, so the new piston is going to end up the same. Thats why sometimes the best option is to get a new saw, one where you know the history.

It was naffed because someone added chain oil into the fuel mix instead of 2 stroke i believe... It hasnt done much the saw either which is a shame. What sort of price are we looking at for rehoning a cylinder if I can get the piston?

Cheers

If you can get a piston, do it yourself. Read the http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/33857-whats-your-bench-today.html thread good info on cleaning up cylinders,

You cant hone or re sleeve the cylinder.

What Ray said, the cylinder has transfer, inlet and exhaust ports so re sleeving can't be done - its construction is a bored aluminium cylinder with a thin nikasil plating that is extremely hard.

First thing to do is to remove the aluminium transfer from the bore and then inspect for bad scores, especially above the exhaust port as this is where the engine makes compression. Don't be put off if t looks a little bad as one MS260 I had looked bad to me and made 190psi and has spent 6 months in the field, hard use still running well.

The OEM cylinder will be made far better than a Chinese aftermarket one - if you can salvage the cylinder - I have salvaged 95% I have had in, then you may have to fit the OEM piston but it will bring the cost down significantly!

Personally I always vac and pressure check an engine after doing this work and re tach the carb but that is my choice and protects the owner from having the same issue almost immediately.:thumbup: