Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

18 minutes ago, Spruce Pirate said:

Was that in at JCC the other week?  Saw it in passing and noticed the winch but didn't get a chance to get a proper nose at it.

Yes, it’s been up a while now, hopefully back later this week or early next.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a special place in hell reserved for ‘tree surgeons’ who take on clearance jobs. They love it of course- lots of lovely day rate for a bunch of unskilled brash/knuckle draggers 🙄

Whole trees are easy with a digger and a fire. Little bits, cut up and chucked onto a chestnut stool cut far too high not only make for shit chestnut regrowth, but also make it hell to clear- you can only fit three lengths of that diameter in a grab, so when the lengths are short it’s far more work. Luckily the loader was on site and can just about cope with the hills. 

51A591E2-C5CB-4DC2-A20C-3F0690AEBE16.jpeg

DFC1A478-9DAE-4863-A5D3-7B81ABFC3AD5.jpeg

D9EA5D79-A2F8-444A-8C8C-22CA5240B5ED.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, IronMike said:

I was going to add a similar statement to the “biggest issues facing our industry” thread. 

I can’t stand arbs doing forestry! 🤣

There are whole trees in there, left where they fell but chopped up into three foot lengths. Why??? The stools were cut at chest height, some big ones too. What a bodge. 

i finished the day with some rhody. No stumps to weave between and the brash from the last time they did that has all disintegrated. Cleared the same area as I did all day in an hour. 

8DAB1D42-0A3A-4827-86C1-13A717A733FA.jpeg

5CBB9CF1-3E36-4627-BCB2-B47888791B85.jpeg

242DA8FB-FE90-4B24-B602-AE900828DC19.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Tree surgeons dong clearance:

One of my earliest freelancing gigs was on a clearance job. A five acre garden with about three acres of trees, a sort of plantation and some dotted about specimens. Mostly small stuff, 6-12" DBH. It was three or four of us manually felling and feeding a shit 6" chipper on a trailer that we couldn't push. A Transit would cart chip to a pile and get stuck. A pickup turned up eventually to move the chipper and a tractor with a loader bucket turned up at the end to collect the wood (cut to man manageable pieces obviously). The driver couldn't scoop it so he loaded it into the bucket manually. I remember at the time being primarily aggrieved we couldn't just burn it all but how badly it was planned didn't sink in until it was over. I didn't know anything about machines at the time and just did what I was told and paid for. Some monster digger was coming in afterwards to dig the stumps out anyway. God knows why the boss didn't mechanise. The job was fifteen miles from Justin Kingwell's yard. Fittest I've ever been though.

Edited by AHPP

• 1 month later...

Had the 1.5 ton out last week. Having not used it for months I did 4 jobs with it in 2 days 😅, mucked out a cow pen, stacked a silver birch, leveled a compost heap and cleared up my bonfire heap. After using the micro for so long, the reach on this feels enormous 😅😅😅

20220928_135237.jpg

20220928_123524.jpg

20220927_171622.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1