Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

• 2 weeks later...

Took a while to have them both in the same place with the right attachments to get a shot, but the Liebherr with Extension arm and 22 metre Long Reach JCB with Mecanil head really does make for an interesting comparison.

The Liebherr is just such a versatile all rounder and the extension means it can go out to around 18.5 metre reach up or out, but still be about as easy to transport as a 20 tonner.

The JCB was bought for a specific project that sadly didn’t come, but try and find a decent Long Reach at present so it can stay a bit.

Felling Heads really are taking the job by storm at present across a range of carriers and I’ve had great success with them.

Need a nice small LGP unit back in my life now, some great base machines out there to do them on now.

A74B321B-71AC-40BE-9116-C085E3434B9E.thumb.jpeg.ea02f9966a3b5a8004ab74bfc88f82ca.jpeg

Eddie.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

What sort of radius gives you 2 tonnes plus Eddie? What can the JCB cut and hold 15-20m up?  
How much reach and what sort of capacity does the Merlo offer @Gray git

If I need max capacity I’d take the Liebherr and Westtech Grapple Saw, if I need maximum reach I’d use the JCB

If I need fastest cycle times and the ability to reach down slopes then the excavator based solutions can’t be beaten.

If I need maximum height I’d just use the heads on a Rotating Telehandler to get the tops out, and let the excavators pick up the rest.

Horses for courses.

• Like 1

What sort of radius gives you 2 tonnes plus Eddie? What can the JCB cut and hold 15-20m up?  
How much reach and what sort of capacity does the Merlo offer @Gray git

Again really depends on where your reaching too as I have more capacity 8m out and 20m up than I do 15m out and 4m up and also depends on which head I have on as the GMT is half as heavy as the westtech but with far less cut and grip capacity and as Eddie says I can't reach down so useless if the trees are on a down slope apart from getting the stuff about wher I'm set up, anything under has to be chained and lifted.
Beauty with my machine is I have a live load chart screen constantly telling me wher I am and what capacity I have left so I know what's safe to take as a big lump or pick apart.
  • Like 1

Depends on what setup is fitted to it, but approx 22 metres and 500kg clear capacity at that reach full 360.

Eddie.
That's impressive!
Quick cycle time too I expect.
Yeah I think you could be heading up our way on this job for whoever gets it as I don't know of any other machines that can do that.

26 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

If I need max capacity I’d take the Liebherr and Westtech Grapple Saw, if I need maximum reach I’d use the JCB

If I need fastest cycle times and the ability to reach down slopes then the excavator based solutions can’t be beaten.

If I need maximum height I’d just use the heads on a Rotating Telehandler to get the tops out, and let the excavators pick up the rest.

Horses for courses.

What sort of reach (radius) would the Liebherr have 2 tonne capacity then out of interest?