Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Backhoes fell out of favour due to the fact the perfect storm of a card scheme that prevents people actually learning in the seat of the machine from the ground up, coupled with the fact that anyone can jump on a servo 360 and make it go.

The Backhoe never lost any of it’s versatility, we used to have to do everything with them utilising what you could carry to site in the front bucket.

Take a look at Scandinavia, they’ve never fell out of favour much there, skilled operators that have taken the already versatile Backhoe to another level with attachments.

We’re just starting to see the tide turn now, with guys taking a second look at Backhoes in the UK.

I think the trend for Tiltrotator equipped Owner Operator Backhoes will grow, especially if a clampdown does ever come on moving kit behind Tractors or even a Telehandler??

If they can ever get this Wheeled Excavator and Trailer thing sorted I think that many would go that way.

Same as everything really, if you buy well and it doesn’t work out, how much are you actually going to lose trying it out if you’ve done a few jobs with it.

Eddie.

• Like 2

Been a bit of a JCB week all round with one thing and another, but an emergency call with a list of machine requirements/restrictions as long as your arm had me hiring in a JCB 55z and fitting a Kinshoffer HPX 09 grab more usually installed on 8 tonne carriers just to get something together.

This was actually I believe the first 55z sold in the UK, and the guy who bought it had literally every option on it.

I’ve done a couple of days on it and what a tool it is all round.

Yes the grab is too big, it’s not the full size 67 version as zero swing machines are not my thing, so it nods a fair bit, but the power and speed in it is brilliant.

Cab is a real nice place to be, plenty of space, air seat/heated seat, great heater, controls are very good with dual auxiliary pipework and proportional rollers for the grab.

Lacks a bit of vision to the offside as the bonnet is square edges not sloped off, but it does house everything very nicely and easy to get around for checks. 

A decent refuelling pump setup was welcome, but hardly needed, seemingly very economical in comparison to my Kubota Kx57.

Downside the paint peeling off certain bits with absolutely no sign of anything applied to make it stick!

I know JCB have worked hard on this especially on the new X series, so I don’t know how new versions are lasting.

Been said to me a few times now the 67c would kick the Kubota’s arse, well I know it would in the Cab department, but after this little 55z, I wouldn’t be surprised if it did in the performance either?

Just don’t try to take any of the new JCB Midi range Tree Shearing, be some long faces all round real quick!

812E3EB8-FA3E-4C6A-B499-BBCBAE054755.thumb.jpeg.ba8f9264355f089f358374e929b9fefb.jpeg

837F8450-DC1C-4290-ADE5-B34F31E73BD6.thumb.jpeg.645c572010b6bcf583b5a34a061d3c57.jpeg

Eddie.

• Like 1

Been a bit of a JCB week all round with one thing and another, but an emergency call with a list of machine requirements/restrictions as long as your arm had me hiring in a JCB 55z and fitting a Kinshoffer HPX 09 grab more usually installed on 8 tonne carriers just to get something together.

This was actually I believe the first 55z sold in the UK, and the guy who bought it had literally every option on it.
Yes the grab is too big, it’s not the full size 67 version as zero swing machines are not my thing, so it nods a fair bit, but the power and speed in it is brilliant.
Cab is a real nice place to be, plenty of space, air seat/heated seat, great heater, controls are very good with dual auxiliary pipework and proportional rollers for the grab.

Lacks a bit of vision to the offside as the bonnet is square edges not sloped off, but it does house everything very nicely and easy to get around for checks. 
A decent refuelling pump setup was welcome, but hardly needed, seemingly very economical in comparison to my Kubota Kx57.

Downside the paint peeling off certain bits with absolutely no sign of anything applied to make it stick!
I know JCB have worked hard on this especially on the new X series, so I don’t know how new versions are lasting.

Been said to me a few times now the 67c would kick the Kubota’s arse, well I know it would in the Cab department, but after this little 55z, I wouldn’t be surprised if it did in the performance either?

Just don’t try to take any of the new JCB Midi range Tree Shearing, be some long faces all round real quick!

812E3EB8-FA3E-4C6A-B499-BBCBAE054755.thumb.jpeg.ba8f9264355f089f358374e929b9fefb.jpeg

837F8450-DC1C-4290-ADE5-B34F31E73BD6.thumb.jpeg.645c572010b6bcf583b5a34a061d3c57.jpeg

Eddie.
Bit lacking in aux pressure for a shear?

5 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Very very cool!  An Urban harvester and trailer, can’t get much better I reckon.

thats 6 years tomorrow since I ordered my Cat, time flies.

Just heading out to work with her after my bacon roll.  She runs as good as the day day I got her.

The digger that started a 335 page thread!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gray git said:
4 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

Eddie.

Read more  

Bit lacking in aux pressure for a shear?

After this weeks fun and games, all I will say to anyone considering a JCB Midi for Tree Shear or attachments, do your homework.

Solutions are available, but my suggestion is contact your JCB Dealer, explain what pressure you want from the auxiliary for your chosen attachment and await their response.

Eddie.

2336 hrs, looked today.

just finished a tricky access path for my neighbour,  I wouldn’t of ever thought of attempting jobs like it years ago.

little CAT making wages every day, that’s 3 years since the finance was paid off, 1 set of tracks earlier this year and 3 hoses , that’s all she’s ever cost me.

13E7F710-5FB7-4103-8A46-D5E1D04812FC.jpeg

8D75E7CB-E4D5-49B3-A589-6E518A65EC66.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

2336 hrs, looked today.

just finished a tricky access path for my neighbour,  I wouldn’t of ever thought of attempting jobs like it years ago.

little CAT making wages every day, that’s 3 years since the finance was paid off, 1 set of tracks earlier this year and 3 hoses , that’s all she’s ever cost me.

13E7F710-5FB7-4103-8A46-D5E1D04812FC.jpeg

8D75E7CB-E4D5-49B3-A589-6E518A65EC66.jpeg

If you had to give up the CAT or the 3cx which would it be!?