Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

It’d make sense as an addition to a larger truck fleet for bad access etc but to my mind if going down the operators licence/tachograph etc route on a small scale you may as well have a proper truck (12ish tonner) as not much bigger but could be a useful tipper/hooklift/hiab etc setup. 

It does look handy though! 

17 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

It’d make sense as an addition to a larger truck fleet for bad access etc but to my mind if going down the operators licence/tachograph etc route on a small scale you may as well have a proper truck (12ish tonner) as not much bigger but could be a useful tipper/hooklift/hiab etc setup. 

It does look handy though! 

This really is little bigger than a Transit, certainly a nice solution.

Eddie.

30 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

This really is little bigger than a Transit, certainly a nice solution.

Eddie.

Yeah, physically they are the same size as the 3.5 tonne ivecos, just built on heavier chassis and axles (engines/gearboxes etc are the same across the weight ranges AFAIK). Iveco Dailys are built like little trucks (unlike transits etc, which are built like big cars) and can all carry weight incredibly well, especially with uprated springs on the smaller ones.

Running the one you’ve pictured would be a sensible solution to many in our industry but brings with it a multitude of hurdles. Those prepared to jump over those hurdles can just as easily run any weight rigid truck and trailer combo, and the chances are if they are bothering to upgrade it’s because they need more capacity (volume as well as weight).

The ridiculousness of the situation is that anyone could buy that truck and downplate it to 3.5 tonne, thus not needing a tachograph/o-licence etc. It wouldn’t weigh significantly more than the official 3.5 tonne version so would have a similar payload (next to bugger all). Obviously it could then be used day to day in the same way as the majority of transit based setups are - grossing 4.5 tonnes plus when loaded etc etc (anyone suggesting this isn’t the case isn’t being realistic). Totally illegal but arguably safe as it’s designed to run at 7 tonnes.

They need to look at 3.5 tonne class vehicles in this country IMO as they aren’t really fit for purpose at present, something that will get worse as we are forced towards electric vehicles. It needs to be much more straightforward for people to run little trucks like the one you’ve pictured legally. 

• Like 1

Just get a Unimog and use that magic legislation dissolving white diesel in it!?

This has taken some time, but finally Gregor McArthur and John Craig came together to install my new Mecanil SG280 Felling Head.

I’ve run someone else’s Mecanil for them on all sorts of carriers, and done a lot of work in getting tweaks/mods sorted, eventually getting them Factory done into this latest version for myself.

This setup is done so it runs through the SVAB Joysticks in the cab, no additional pedals or buttons are required to be installed, which transmits via radio remote to the head, allowing continuous 360 Operation.

It would of had a top quick hitch and the whole setup done through the Engcon Ec-Oil system so I didn’t even need to get out of the cab to install it, but experience has shown, you mainly leave the head on for long periods, the weight saving is essential on this carrier machine and it’s about the equivalent of changing a breaker on a JCB 3cx in terms of time, so no real hassle.

Hopefully this combined with the Engcon/TMK setup it already has, should make it a fair weapon.

Eddie.

• Like 3

Video from my friend Matt out in the USA, showing a comparison between his regular Flail and Fixed tooth Mulcher on his 5 tonne Kubota setup.

A really nice touch on the Fixed tooth Mulcher is an small Hydraulic Thimb setup on the back of it which is ideal for moving material about.

You can see the difference Fixed tooth brings in such applications, also the fact they show a lot more face to the material makes it easier to cut down tops or work your way into things like Rhodies.

One thing I always found, when you work your way down to what is generally the point of refusal, and then have to start taking stabs for the last bit, between allowing the rotor to spin up, go down lower and work upwards on the side of the material to reduce its diameter and then come down on it again.

This helps prevent the long strands splitting off as you’re working on something solid.

Again the larger face or opening door of the Fixed tooth type allow this, where a Flail you’re stuck with nibbling straight down.

https://youtu.be/9123UzXn6Es

Eddie.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 22:58, Gray git said:

How much will the type of flail fitted affect the performance and finish as it looks like he has v typ as apposed to whale tail typ

In that application you can’t beat having something fixed and preferably sharp.

I’ve always run sharps in preference to carbides, it’s the old saying you’d not try and cut wood with a hammer when you have an axe, and I suppose you could say you wanted that axe to have a good solid shaft, not broken with the head flopping about, hence Fixed tooth.

The closest I suppose you could get to a chipper on a machine is the Denis Cimaf type setup, but everything contacts something it shouldn’t at some time, and those really sharp teeth aren’t going to like it!

I found on my FAE I would get around 60 days on a set of the sharp teeth including reversing them. They give good performance throughout and then went on to cut any grass etc through the summer perfectly when absolutely blunt.

All this is based on Excavator with Mulcher Heads where you have limited power to play with and can come down on the material and minimise ground contact.

Carbides are essential in most other carriers due to the amount of ground engaging they do.

If he was running Y flails then yes they’ll be a lot less effective than some good heavy boot flails.

Eddie.

• Like 2

I’ve always run sharps in preference to carbides, it’s the old saying you’d not try and cut wood with a hammer when you have an axe, and I suppose you could say you wanted that axe to have a good solid shaft, not broken with the head flopping about, hence Fixed tooth.
The closest I suppose you could get to a chipper on a machine is the Denis Cimaf type setup, but everything contacts something it shouldn’t at some time, and those really sharp teeth aren’t going to like it!
I found on my FAE I would get around 60 days on a set of the sharp teeth including reversing them. They give good performance throughout and then went on to cut any grass etc through the summer perfectly when absolutely blunt.
All this is based on Excavator with Mulcher Heads where you have limited power to play with and can come down on the material and minimise ground contact.
Carbides are essential in most other carriers due to the amount of ground engaging they do.
If he was running Y flails then yes they’ll be a lot less effective than some good heavy boot flails.

Eddie.
I've run fixed carbide on tractor mounted mulchers but I've had a few people say and probably rightly that the size machine we are running won't cope with fixed teeth as takes a lot more power. If I was going 8ton class I'd definitely go solid but don't think a 2.6 will be up to it even going steady

Just now, Gray git said:
15 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

Eddie.

Read more  

I've run fixed carbide on tractor mounted mulchers but I've had a few people say and probably rightly that the size machine we are running won't cope with fixed teeth as takes a lot more power. If I was going 8ton class I'd definitely go solid but don't think a 2.6 will be up to it even going steady

The most essential thing these days I’d to try and spec a Variable Torque Motor.

I had a straightforward 30 percent increase in productivity when switching from standard, literally night and day.

Eddie.

• Like 1