Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

17 hours ago, scbk said:

Finally got round to fitting a led worklight to the Kubota k008 - the hardest part is finding somewhere to put the switch where it won't get knocked (and running the cable) as it's so tight on space

Also making good use of the digbits thumb on rough woodchip

DSCN1956x.jpg

DSCN1964x.jpg

Thats an identical set up to mine, but i already had a light fitted, amd the switch was  built in to it. Did your machine not have a light at all?

My cat underside is solid the most you do is just get stuck or rock on top of it,  and if you get a higher stump you just lift yourself over it. 

I find anything I’ve been concerned about is because I’ve not got the experience, then when I am faced with the challenge it’s easily overcome or you,pop a track hard against a tree and spend an hour in a tantrum and rage trying to get it back on, luckily with utube on your phone there are plenty of ideas to use and even as a reassurance it happens to others.  I crossed 300m of Sitka brash after a harvester and forwarder had finished.  I’d of never of thought I’d on managed it a few years ago.  It saved me easily an hour tracking around and getting the jeep and trailer so sometimes you just have to give it a bash.  This is my last job before Christmas.  19 ton of timber off site for firewood and the brash burnt.  Nice 2 day job for 3 of us and not much sweat, once the guys I had on site stopped using their brute strength to hit wedges or move branches they soon got in the way of calling me over to do the work and standing back.  It’s always good seeing new guys just smile as the ‘ little digger ‘ comes to the rescue, everyone is always surprised at how much I can do with it.  Most ask, how much does it lift doubting its ability, I just say not as much as I can wrestle and roll.

F514CB63-FCFA-48D6-80CF-12C36E1D3127.jpeg

C8FA3682-E529-4101-9B16-9175B9FD8964.jpeg

EE55183B-33A7-4678-B62B-909C0C362623.jpeg

5252053D-1EE4-4A3B-B210-5C8594C08E7A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stephen Blair said:

My cat underside is solid the most you do is just get stuck or rock on top of it,  and if you get a higher stump you just lift yourself over it. 

I find anything I’ve been concerned about is because I’ve not got the experience, then when I am faced with the challenge it’s easily overcome or you,pop a track hard against a tree and spend an hour in a tantrum and rage trying to get it back on, luckily with utube on your phone there are plenty of ideas to use and even as a reassurance it happens to others.  I crossed 300m of Sitka brash after a harvester and forwarder had finished.  I’d of never of thought I’d on managed it a few years ago.  It saved me easily an hour tracking around and getting the jeep and trailer so sometimes you just have to give it a bash.  This is my last job before Christmas.  19 ton of timber off site for firewood and the brash burnt.  Nice 2 day job for 3 of us and not much sweat, once the guys I had on site stopped using their brute strength to hit wedges or move branches they soon got in the way of calling me over to do the work and standing back.  It’s always good seeing new guys just smile as the ‘ little digger ‘ comes to the rescue, everyone is always surprised at how much I can do with it.  Most ask, how much does it lift doubting its ability, I just say not as much as I can wrestle and roll.

F514CB63-FCFA-48D6-80CF-12C36E1D3127.jpeg

C8FA3682-E529-4101-9B16-9175B9FD8964.jpeg

EE55183B-33A7-4678-B62B-909C0C362623.jpeg

5252053D-1EE4-4A3B-B210-5C8594C08E7A.jpeg

What sort of grab do you have on that? Fixed thumb or tilty jobby on the boom?

I think 3 tonners (or 2.8t ) are a fantastic size. The difference between a 2.8t and a sub 2ton is night and day. I always feel my 1.8t is a bit of a toy really- useful for the odd jobs and narrow access stuff whereas 3tonner is far more capable of ‘proper’ work. For me the 3t size is a real money earner- it uses minimal diesel, can be towed behind truck to jobs, can get in through a 5ft gate (just!) and I’ve yet to find terrain I haven’t been able to take it on. The expanding undercarriage of the smaller 2 ton machines are ok- but if your on soft bogey ground- there isn’t much  sinking to be had before it’s sitting on its belly- best way is to lift the machine at the front as you travel to keep on top of the soft stuff rather than just trying to push through it- makes far less mess, there’s also the hoses that go to the expanding tracks that you have to be mindful of when travelling on brash- the 3t undercarriage is far more robust in that sense.

5 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Thats an identical set up to mine, but i already had a light fitted, amd the switch was  built in to it. Did your machine not have a light at all?

No doubt it had one when new, but there was nothing left. I've wired it up to the ignition live feed, with a switch by the dozer blade lever.

It’s a shame you can’t get the Case cx23 new anymore. That was a 2.3t digger which basically had the undercarriage and counterweight of a 3 tonner. My Dad has one and I always think Case missed a trick by not keeping that going with a few modernisations.

https://www.ironandearth.co.uk/product/case-cx23/

would make someone a great towable machine for not much money- getting a bit long in the tooth now though.

18 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I think 3 tonners (or 2.8t ) are a fantastic size. The difference between a 2.8t and a sub 2ton is night and day. I always feel my 1.8t is a bit of a toy really- useful for the odd jobs and narrow access stuff whereas 3tonner is far more capable of ‘proper’ work. For me the 3t size is a real money earner- it uses minimal diesel, can be towed behind truck to jobs, can get in through a 5ft gate (just!) and I’ve yet to find terrain I haven’t been able to take it on. The expanding undercarriage of the smaller 2 ton machines are ok- but if your on soft bogey ground- there isn’t much  sinking to be had before it’s sitting on its belly- best way is to lift the machine at the front as you travel to keep on top of the soft stuff rather than just trying to push through it- makes far less mess, there’s also the hoses that go to the expanding tracks that you have to be mindful of when travelling on brash- the 3t undercarriage is far more robust in that sense.

If you're 8" down in someones lawn, you should have stopped a long while ago and thought of a better plan.

Who's comparing sub 2 tonne to 2.8/3 tonners anyway, different classes and they both have a place.

I was merely saying a Takeuchi TB225 @ 2.4 tonne will suit many guys on here, they'll fetch exactly the same rate as a 2.8 tonner, not rip the arse out of your truck towing, and a fair chance of getting all your kit on the trailer legally.

It'll also manage a decent days work and get in where no 2.8 tonner can, as being able to magically take 400mm off the machine width for access isn't to be ignored.

I think general Arb and landscaping applications are getting a bit crossed with woodland and site clearance.

Eddie.