Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Called to see progress on my new Kobelco unit today, and it's going to be some beast!

The Heavy lift 1.4 tonne counterweight is on, 800mm track pads, with an unusual 100mm inward offset to keep transport width down, and rubber block pads. Guards have been replaced with thicker items, extra track guides etc.

This unit has a full Prolec envelope monitor system that will allow me to programme in limits for slew/height when working on highways etc.

Packing in a good 30 tonne now we estimate in the base carrier, it should more than boss the job.

Lighting package, guarding etc to go on yet, but should be with me early next week to get started on the Engcon and attachments.

Eddie.

Thumbs up for the Kobelco, I am a big fan of them and a much under rated and forgotten Manufacturer .

Ste

I assume you're not thinking of towing either of them? If you have a truck, try the latest dash 5 Komatsu Pc30 just out.

Zero tail, but it may just surprise you.

Eddie.

The plan was to tow it behind the defender.

I always find Kubotas lifting capacity chart a little 'optimistic'. Even if it can lift what they say you are limited by it trying to tilt on anything but flat ground (on why these charts are based)

I do believe if you run a defender you can tow the Kx71-3. It's 2.8t operating weight and buckets can go in the rear tub of the truck. The TB230 however is pushing it on the weight- I think it's over 2.9 machine weight if I recall.

Wider and longer tracks are always a good thing- but I think you will find the TB230 very stable and it has a good hefty tail swing.

Poor paint on Takeuchi, in 5 years time it will probably look 10years old (they may have improved newer models) but then again easy enough to touch up if your bothered about that kind of thing.

I reckon it probably comes down to which dealer makes the best coffee.

Honestly think you'd be chuffed with either machine

I have had a real good look into this today.

The weight quoted for the kubota in their brochure is not the operating weight, Takeuchi are quoting operating weight, so if you take off the bucket and operator weight from the takeuchi they are pretty much identical weight wise and should go in an Ifor GH1054 without a bucket attached.

Indespension now have a lightweight plant trailer with a 2920kg payload, which I am going to have a look at tomorrow.

The weight quoted for the kubota in their brochure is not the operating weight, Takeuchi are quoting operating weight, so if you take off the bucket and operator weight from the takeuchi they are pretty much identical weight wise and should go in an Ifor GH1054 without a bucket attached.

Indespension now have a lightweight plant trailer with a 2920kg payload, which I am going to have a look at tomorrow.

That's interesting. Operator weight includes 75kg for the driver , so with you and the buckets you should be ok. Bateson also make a high payload trailer where you can take the ramps of easily and stick them in the pickup.

Kubota kx71-3 is quite an old model now- I'm not sure what they have done along the way to keep up with the likes of the tb230 coming out.

Out of interest what are you planning to use the digger for mainly?

That's interesting. Operator weight includes 75kg for the driver , so with you and the buckets you should be ok. Bateson also make a high payload trailer where you can take the ramps of easily and stick them in the pickup.

Kubota kx71-3 is quite an old model now- I'm not sure what they have done along the way to keep up with the likes of the tb230 coming out.

Out of interest what are you planning to use the digger for mainly?

I thought the 71-3 was very basic compared to the TB230, order was placed for TB230 this afternoon.

It's main use will be blending soils and composts, filling bags and feeding a small screener, with the occasional bit of hire with me driving, because the materials we blend are light so it's having a 750mm bucket for that purpose.

Nice one- look forwards to the pics.

You,lol have no problems with stability- the TB125 I have has the same track base and spends it's life with a heavy post knocker on Dartmoor and handling big granite rocks- it amazes me where it manages to stay upright.

Interestingly the new tb125 I have just got came with a 900mm digging bucket- yet to use it but seems pretty big for the machine.

I've got the indespension alumax, it's a very good trailer but the rear lights are a bit fragile due to being the widest point and housed in some stupidly thin plate.

Interesting one for you, very good mate required a zero tail 8 tonner for a specific application, knows his stuff, but asked my opinion.

The reaction when I said go and see the new JCB 85z was less than favourable, but when I added I'd buy one, he was clearly puzzled?

This guy doesn't mess about, and a few hours later a call from the actual JCB dealers yard, after he's been all over one, with a pretty stunned reaction!

Another call, his mate is Takeuchi like a stick of rock, I mean literally every size from micro to 14 tonner, no way JCB, junk, split them in half to do a hose, all the usual, and not without substance of the older range.

Take him the factory with you was my reply, I'm saying nothing more on the subject, you're a good mate and I won't influence you.

Factory visit with mr Takeuchi who literally threw everything he had at it, took one for a test and blurts out in the car back, I'm stunned by that, it's nothing like anything that's gone before!

Fast forward I end up involved to do the final spec, and this is always the nice bit, but the difference apart from a couple of extra lights, absolutely everything is factory fitted, with nothing bought that isn't required, no third party involved and full three years warranty on the lot.

Ordered yesterday and about 6 weeks due to all the spec before delivery.

Just nice sometimes to credit a machine for what it is, and anyone who knows their kit will see a huge difference in the JCB compact stuff. They haven't done all the range but the 8 and 6 tonners are turning some respected heads now.

Eddie.