Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

I'd say Arb work will cover a multitude of clients and I'd expect very little to be on Forestry Commission sites which is where the insistence on FMO certification will come from? If that's specific to what you do then FMO is the way to go.

A CPCS is accepted as the basic unit for excavator operation in the FMO scheme anyway.

I'd have said most on here would be better off with CPCS if they want to go the whole hog or get an in house certificate at the very least if not?

Excavators are required to be tested every 12 months.

Eddie.

the cert was insisted by a forestry company although it was for their arb side, until they sold it, so really it was for arb work and I presumed site clearance.The company insisted I would need some type of certification to use the machine, but they didnt know what :confused1:

I looked at CICS ? I think that was what it was called. As I do little to no digging they wouldn't do training or assessment on the digger with a timber grab.

So ended up doing the FMO, which ticked the forestry companies box :laugh1:

• Like 1

the cert was insisted by a forestry company although it was for their arb side, until they sold it, so really it was for arb work and I presumed site clearance.The company insisted I would need some type of certification to use the machine, but they didnt know what :confused1:

I looked at CICS ? I think that was what it was called. As I do little to no digging they wouldn't do training or assessment on the digger with a timber grab.

So ended up doing the FMO, which ticked the forestry companies box :laugh1:

It's truly a minefield and the simple fact is there is very little overlap of the CPCS and FMO certification?

Basically for some clients they would insist on CPCS (or similar) others may want FMO (Forestry commission insist on this), leaving poor operators having to fork out for two sets of training and card schemes.

CPCS does have competition from other schemes and plenty of clients accept it, I wonder if anyone has ever challenged the FMO schemes dominance and is there actually an alternative available?

Eddie.

For forestry and arb work with a grab on the digger I had to get FMO1.1 and FMO1.2 tracked rigid and tracked slewing. Also after one year old I would have to have it LOLER inspected .

as far as I am aware if an excavator has a lifting hook or eye it is covered by loler regs but if used with a grab or bucket then it is classed as materials handling or earthmoving and is not classed as lifting equipment,in the construction industry at least.

It's truly a minefield and the simple fact is there is very little overlap of the CPCS and FMO certification?

Basically for some clients they would insist on CPCS (or similar) others may want FMO (Forestry commission insist on this), leaving poor operators having to fork out for two sets of training and card schemes.

CPCS does have competition from other schemes and plenty of clients accept it, I wonder if anyone has ever challenged the FMO schemes dominance and is there actually an alternative available?

Eddie.

Eddie, I was told when inquiring about the CICS (construction industry certification scheme) ? with the digger if I wasnt using the grab. They said I had to pay a percentage to them from all money made from labour on site works.

Ever heard of this?

Eddie, I was told when inquiring about the CICS (construction industry certification scheme) ? with the digger if I wasnt using the grab. They said I had to pay a percentage to them from all money made from labour on site works.

Ever heard of this?

Oh yes! CITB levy they call it I believe?

It's some percentage of turnover I believe and is basically how the whole scheme is underpinned.

Obviously large contractors contribute an awful lot hence their insistence on having CPCS certification on their sites.

Interestingly CPCS assumes if you can operate the machine then you can handle the wide range of attachments that go on the end?

With regard to annual testing of practically anything like winches, cranes, loaders etc, it may technically be exempt but we've unfortunately passed that point now in our claims culture if it isn't absolutely for your own use.

Should the worst happen a basic 12 monthly inspection certificate by a reputable company and some maintenance records could be very useful and considered best practice? They aren't expensive and a qualified eye every 12 months will make you round up all them little jobs you wanted to get done on a machine.

Eddie.