Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Do you find the oil flow high enough to operate all the other controls and does it get hot? I do like the idea of them but it's also a weight issue for me on a 1.5 t

Cheers rich

I looked into flails for 1.5t but the flow isn't quite enough so slewing and flailing at the same time isn't possible. Also on that size machine they say that it can only cut 10mm- so not really worth the expense.

Great pics guys.

TCD what make is the flail?

I think I must have built the first 360 mulcher ever. It was an idea a mate of mine had over thirty years ago while clearing motorway banks all over the place. I built a 1mtr,1,5mtr and a 2mtr.Its how I ended up in this game. Going back then the diggers had no oil flow to the third service when slewing so we had to fit a separate pump to the engine just for the mulcher head. The bigger ones had to have a separate engine/powerpack on a cradle just to run the hydraulics because it would cook the machines.

Here is a pic of the 1mtr which is still in use today,not bad when you think I made it thirty years ago. I think my mate should have taken a patent out as it was his idea.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140522&stc=1&d=1384473517http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140523&stc=1&d=1384473517

597667090eb63_14nov2013008.jpg.0900bf55a749082ab44d21a1097b236b.jpg

597667090a34c_14nov2013007.jpg.313fd1bdfb5ef46009ce4f8d9e5e5a15.jpg

• Like 1

Do you find the oil flow high enough to operate all the other controls and does it get hot? I do like the idea of them but it's also a weight issue for me on a 1.5 t

Cheers rich

Obviously the mower sucks a bit so slewing uphill knocks it down and there's the lag to wait for. Heat hasn't been an issue. Minimum 3 tonner for the smallest berti head.

I looked into flails for 1.5t but the flow isn't quite enough so slewing and flailing at the same time isn't possible. Also on that size machine they say that it can only cut 10mm- so not really worth the expense.

As above, 1.5t going to struggle.

Ok, so if you decide to go down the mini digger with gab route for arb work. what cert of competence would you need to put your guys through to take it onto a commercial site?

what other legislation covers the use of mini diggers?

That's a very good question of which the answer isn't as straightforward as you think?

The general perception is you need to have a CPCS card with the required category to operate a machine on site, where the actually reality is you only have to provide proof you are competent should the worst happen.

Many commercial clients will demand the CPCS, stating their insurance insists on it etc etc, and it's their choice to do so?

Others are happy to accept other cards from schemes such as the NPORS, and plenty will accept 'in house' training certificates.

CPCS is a good thing in some respects, but has now become a complete money making racket, changing the goalposts every couple of years to make everyone go back at great expense with no real increase in benefit.

The simple fact is no card scheme whatsoever can provide a client with any understanding of the operators skill level or experience, with someone fresh out of training having exactly the same card in his hand as a 20 year plus veteran?

Some choose to just operate such kit with no formal training and technically there's no requirement, but should the worst happen the first thing you will be asked is to prove your competence?

A decent local training provider will provide a package for you and provide the necessary proof for an awful lot less than any of these card schemes, but it's only of value if a client will accept it?

Personally I use CPCS as it's the one universally accepted, so possibly less hassle in the end?

Eddie.

Im currently looking at these flail heads for a 3 ton machine for cutting hedges. How are they at hedges or is the finger bar the better option. I understand you cant track and flail at the same time but

I prefer the idea of not having to clean up after the cutting. Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.