Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

16 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

That at least has four wheels. The other one has to be dragged along surely?

Where these are designed to be used the wheels are a bit ‘secondary’ tbh - most positioning needs to be assisted with the bucket/whatever is hanging off the front. Obviously 4 wheels massively increases ease of mobility, but isn’t really that much of a necessity ‘in-work’.

A firm mounted a couple of big Teupen mewps onto Menzi base units instead of the digging equipment - they were displayed at the APF. Mega looking (and no doubt costing!) bits of kit but I couldn’t help but think in the real world they probably weren’t anywhere near as versatile as hoped as they didn’t have the digging arm to aid mobility/climb over obstacles etc. 
I’ve no personal experience of the machines in action and hope that my thoughts were wrong as they would be incredibly expensive white elephants otherwise! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Where these are designed to be used the wheels are a bit ‘secondary’ tbh - most positioning needs to be assisted with the bucket/whatever is hanging off the front. Obviously 4 wheels massively increases ease of mobility, but isn’t really that much of a necessity ‘in-work’.

A firm mounted a couple of big Teupen mewps onto Menzi base units instead of the digging equipment - they were displayed at the APF. Mega looking (and no doubt costing!) bits of kit but I couldn’t help but think in the real world they probably weren’t anywhere near as versatile as hoped as they didn’t have the digging arm to aid mobility/climb over obstacles etc. 
I’ve no personal experience of the machines in action and hope that my thoughts were wrong as they would be incredibly expensive white elephants otherwise! 

I think your thoughts were probably spot on, the problem with walking excavators is quite simply ground pressure and the fact that no matter what, you can’t get away from the fact that it only has limited contact patch on 4 tyres and if you happen to end up on 2 or 3 at times then everything gets magnified.

They don’t have huge power in the actual drive, it’s the massive power of that arm that gets them about in challenging places, but it’s incredible just how quickly the wrong conditions can get them into or making a real mess.

The diameter of the tyres is critical, as if the rolling radius can’t overcome even what can be a small amount of material in front of it, then they just plough through or slide a huge piece of clod with them as they go.

Incredible the difference if the winch is connected and the machine is able to use this for assistance, virtually eliminated the wheels cutting in on a site where we’d had issues and turned things around.

Like everything they have their place and properly planned they can save huge amounts of money on projects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

That at least has four wheels. The other one has to be dragged along surely?

Many of the new versions have four wheels. Some have wheel drive on all four, but very often it's only two wheels that are powered. The other two are just there for support when moving over longer distances. Some of them have front wheel that can be detached/raised or claws that can be lowered to take the pressure of the wheels. In a work scenario you only need two wheels and especially on slopes. The Schaeff I have doesn't have wheel drive (Hydraulic brakes. Pins that is pushed into slots in the rim). The arm is used to drag it forward and backwards. It feels weird and is slow to begin with, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. it's not that much slower than a tracked machine. At the narrowest setting it will fit on a lorry or on a tractor trailer. I haven't measured it at the medium or widest position. If I had to guess, I'd say that each step widenes it with about a meter.

• Like 2

Many of the new versions have four wheels. Some have wheel drive on all four, but very often it's only two wheels that are powered. The other two are just there for support when moving over longer distances. Some of them have front wheel that can be detached/raised or claws that can be lowered to take the pressure of the wheels. In a work scenario you only need two wheels and especially on slopes. The Schaeff I have doesn't have wheel drive (Hydraulic brakes. Pins that is pushed into slots in the rim). The arm is used to drag it forward and backwards. It feels weird and is slow to begin with, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. it's not that much slower than a tracked machine. At the narrowest setting it will fit on a lorry or on a tractor trailer. I haven't measured it at the medium or widest position. If I had to guess, I'd say that each step widenes it with about a meter.

What do you use it for and why did you choose it over a more conventional machine?

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

What do you use it for and why did you choose it over a more conventional machine?

I have a property that is far from flat, so I use it there for various things. I came across the machine by chance and got a good price on it. I'm interested in machines in general and especially machines that are a bit "special".
I'm thinking about using it for arbwork and forestry in the future. A timbergrab, mulcher and treeshear is on the wishlist.
The machine came with a spare boom with telescopic extension. It replaces the outer section on it and adds two meters to the reach. I haven't decided if I'm going to install it or not, but it might be nice to have coupled with a treeshear or grab.

They cost more to buy than a regular machine, but I think it's worth it for the possibilities it offers.

• Like 5

On 17/04/2022 at 16:07, Ferguson system said:

I have a property that is far from flat, so I use it there for various things. I came across the machine by chance and got a good price on it. I'm interested in machines in general and especially machines that are a bit "special".
I'm thinking about using it for arbwork and forestry in the future. A timbergrab, mulcher and treeshear is on the wishlist.
The machine came with a spare boom with telescopic extension. It replaces the outer section on it and adds two meters to the reach. I haven't decided if I'm going to install it or not, but it might be nice to have coupled with a treeshear or grab.

They cost more to buy than a regular machine, but I think it's worth it for the possibilities it offers.

I kinda like your thinking . I have no use for one but I like it a lot . I think it has huge possibility's .

• Like 2

Had a trip up to ScotPlant and it was a great show, but one day wasn’t enough, as absolutely everyone wanted to talk!

Anyone visiting or having a stand at the APF best factor in that everyone just wants to catch up and you’ll need an extra day at least!

Some nice kit about, nothing special in terms of innovation, and some of the tales of machine/component supply issues really are scary going forward.

Certain items like Tiltrotators seem to be really suffering from delays and I believe some models already can’t be supplied until 2023 and April 2022 isn’t even over yet!

My main reason for a visit was to get a good look at all the 5.5/6 tonne machine offerings as I’m currently in the market, and it was a fantastic opportunity for Callum and myself to check them all out.

Incredible the differences across the manufacturers when you’re just comparing specific aspects for a task.

No surprises in the shortlist, but without operating either I prefer the Takeuchi TB260 over the Kubota Kx060 for a slightly larger cab with better top window for vision, but I need to get some seat time in both to see how they go.

Engcon finally had the full S40 setup with Ec-Oil on display, which should make for the ability to have some nice setups on 5 to 6 tonne machines, but no doubt it’ll be big ££.

AB77816D-6319-4C3B-921B-790A68C15947.thumb.jpeg.00a0c0b41952bd7f5e2e6a19f46afb4a.jpeg

3F8F4614-9291-4BFE-BCDA-9A0C03A4680D.thumb.jpeg.52814f43a2cb4050cc431febcf8d0102.jpeg

FCA112A2-2A98-449E-BEE5-978FAAB6EF47.thumb.jpeg.a53a08143740db42f72cb97e6dd6d680.jpeg

Indexators new XR350 rotator was on display, and this should be a very tidy reliable option for the 13 tonne machines.

I did like the Powerhand grabs, certainly looked a match for the Intermercato.

2370639E-F81B-49D1-A66E-E89883D590E3.thumb.jpeg.a831bc37c576e80299f70850b2b5ae3a.jpeg

I was really impressed with the new Manitou rotating telehandler, some brilliant details on this machine, hopefully Manitou will sort out a solution for the Westtech and GMT attachments, as it would be an ideal carrier.

97378F27-A7FF-4594-9ED0-F9D7635C95F0.thumb.jpeg.c5124bb033a4bebf1020716015f11084.jpeg

2FC569DF-20B4-4866-96B9-D1212F4131D6.thumb.jpeg.642a54b9db27e9453e90cde2f57576aa.jpeg

C0F6D82B-580B-402D-829D-7C6DDD9A28F4.thumb.jpeg.2154d8849a0ab249227a8b4420e7d076.jpeg

87F4679C-5679-4F48-9AA1-E90EA7D2D8EC.thumb.jpeg.da39194325070c6175e2944df11182f6.jpeg

Seriously nice Liebherr that really did have all the details covered.

383C4BA5-003A-40BB-BC89-55DCAD5CE359.thumb.jpeg.002eb6149eebd0ed5a22fff865f13f8a.jpeg

6BD343D1-A931-48F6-B086-A125D585747B.thumb.jpeg.0258891c392cc868ed302bdd1a3eeebf.jpeg

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t know this was on, gutted  I missed it!  I know what you mean about chatting and catching up, we always got split up at the APF meeting folk you’ve not seen in years, faces you only remember from drinking or working and then all the Arbtalk names and faces from over the last 13 years.  I usually miss half the stuff at the stalls 😂

• Like 1