Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

On 13/09/2020 at 10:45, doobin said:

Not to piss on anyones chips but I beg to differ.

Skills to do what Connor is doing (if done well) are £40-50 an hour. Equipment is expensive, parts are horrendous. So how much could he make doing the same or even normal arb work? You like to think it will increase the value of the machine, but the reality is it doesn't. Not be any appreciable amount and certainly not by even 25% of the cost to do it all in my experience. Been there go the T shirt.

Brand new 2.7t machines that will be reliable backed by warranty are available on 0% finance currently. Especially as Connor admits he uses the machine hard (beyond it's intended scope ?), I'd be going down that route myself. Decent deposit from the TB125, maybe £200 a month over five years.

Howver I've been in his shoes, the experience was enjoyable (at the time- a bit like shagging a rotter), and I learnt a lot (again, like shagging a rotter- don't do it again) Plus skills for life (again, like shagging a dirty bird!)

I trust most of you can appreciate the anology....

Ha! It's not so much about increasing the machines value as I've no intention to sell it, if I was trading up, I'd flog it as is and stick the cash on a new machine to reduce the outright payment. I've only ever bought machinery outright. It suits how I work, sometimes I'd be working on projects at home or just fecking off in the camper for a few days, so regular loan repayments might come at awkward times!

I'm lucky to have some friends who are involved in heavy equipment repairs so what I'm unable to do myself costs me a bit less than regular prices. I've probably gone a bit overboard on the stripping front, I pulled out the slew gear and it was perfect. The play was in the motor. I'd rather know this than do a half job then be wondering will it let me down in six months time.

Equally, I'm happy to spend my evenings playing with it (the digger, that is!) Down in the shed as sitting in watching TV and eating doritos. As a result I'm not really counting my time. I'll keep an eye on costs and upload a few pics over the weekend.

I made the brave decision to deviate from original colours... 

Not sure I understand your analogy of shagging rotters, I've only ever been with stunners. Ahem! 

On the subject of new machines, apart from the extra hydraulics, which are useful, I dont see the value for myself, it doesnt get used every day. I bought it 6 years ago with 3700 hours and it's just on 8000 now with few issues.. a track motor, welding the boom when I cracked it. (Big logs are heavy!) and sticking in a new engine when a friend used it for two hours and cooked it. 

Maybe I'm being foolish by doing what I'm doing, but I've gone too far to turn back now, so might as well do it right. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Ha! It's not so much about increasing the machines value as I've no intention to sell it, if I was trading up, I'd flog it as is and stick the cash on a new machine to reduce the outright payment. I've only ever bought machinery outright. It suits how I work, sometimes I'd be working on projects at home or just fecking off in the camper for a few days, so regular loan repayments might come at awkward times!

I'm lucky to have some friends who are involved in heavy equipment repairs so what I'm unable to do myself costs me a bit less than regular prices. I've probably gone a bit overboard on the stripping front, I pulled out the slew gear and it was perfect. The play was in the motor. I'd rather know this than do a half job then be wondering will it let me down in six months time.

Equally, I'm happy to spend my evenings playing with it (the digger, that is!) Down in the shed as sitting in watching TV and eating doritos. As a result I'm not really counting my time. I'll keep an eye on costs and upload a few pics over the weekend.

Not sure I understand your analogy of shagging rotters, I've only ever been with stunners. Ahem! 

On the subject of new machines, apart from the extra hydraulics, which are useful, I dont see the value for myself, it doesnt get used every day. I bought it 6 years ago with 3700 hours and it's just on 8000 now with few issues.. a track motor, welding the boom when I cracked it. (Big logs are heavy!) and sticking in a new engine when a friend used it for two hours and cooked it. 

Maybe I'm being foolish by doing what I'm doing, but I've gone too far to turn back now, so might as well do it right. 

Is your Takeuchi on buttons for the auxiliary hydraulics? My TB125 is and no proportional control at all- something to find it a bit limiting as wanting to fit attachments such as tilting grader/thumb etc and it’s too erratic. I put inline flow control valves in to see if that would calm it down but the pump just dead ends as trying to push full fluid through a restricted space- I wonder if you have found a way to overcome this, it’s almost becoming a good enough reason to sell it so I can buy something with proportional control and 3rd/4th aux lines too, which is what I’m really after but my Tak owes me nowt and is in such good condition I’m hesitant to see it gone.

10 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Is your Takeuchi on buttons for the auxiliary hydraulics? My TB125 is and no proportional control at all- something to find it a bit limiting as wanting to fit attachments such as tilting grader/thumb etc and it’s too erratic. I put inline flow control valves in to see if that would calm it down but the pump just dead ends as trying to push full fluid through a restricted space- I wonder if you have found a way to overcome this, it’s almost becoming a good enough reason to sell it so I can buy something with proportional control and 3rd/4th aux lines too, which is what I’m really after but my Tak owes me nowt and is in such good condition I’m hesitant to see it gone.

Sell it whilst they are making stupid money with idiots and their BBL. Only issue would be the year long wait for a new machine!

Or you could fit a proportional cetop valve. Lot of work though.

I've had a proportional rocker since I bought that Hyundai mini five years ago, and I'd never go back.

11 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

I think you're crazy at those hours but it sure beats getting fat in front of the telly so fair play to you.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...