Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

It started with line boring the kingpin.... then I said feck it, do the dipper too...
Now it's a full re pin, bush and line bore,
engine recon (it's a bit smokey)
sprayjob (might as well, all the parts are off already)
New slew ring and re seal the motor ( if I leave it and do everything else it will undoubtedly fail just to spite me)
rewire (most of the wires in the engine bay have hardened)
new hoses,(cant be getting oil on the fresh paint!)
new glass ( needed it anyway)
and if theres any money left I'll bang on a rotator. (There won't be any money left, but I'm not telling myself that)
By tomorrow night all that will be left is the blade and tracks on the shed floor and a huge, digger shaped hole in the finances!
In fairness, the old girl owes me nothing and what would I buy for the same investment? Another machine in similar condition?!
I hope i can remember how it all goes back together in a few weeks time..
20200825_170344.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Edit now found the manual online just got to get my head around it.

Does anyone have a full pdf workshop manual for a Takeuchi TB016? 

I specifically need the wiring diagram right now, just got the machine and the lights don't work but due to my lack of electrical knowledge I am banging my head on the wall ?

Or if someone could just give a bit of a steer as to roughly what goes where it would be amazing!!

Edited by Lowestoft Firewood

On 25/08/2020 at 22:08, Conor Wright said:

It started with line boring the kingpin.... then I said feck it, do the dipper too...
Now it's a full re pin, bush and line bore,
engine recon (it's a bit smokey)
sprayjob (might as well, all the parts are off already)
New slew ring and re seal the motor ( if I leave it and do everything else it will undoubtedly fail just to spite me)
rewire (most of the wires in the engine bay have hardened)
new hoses,(cant be getting oil on the fresh paint!)
new glass ( needed it anyway)
and if theres any money left I'll bang on a rotator. (There won't be any money left, but I'm not telling myself that)
By tomorrow night all that will be left is the blade and tracks on the shed floor and a huge, digger shaped hole in the finances!
In fairness, the old girl owes me nothing and what would I buy for the same investment? Another machine in similar condition?!
I hope i can remember how it all goes back together in a few weeks time..
20200825_170344.jpeg

Well worth it if your doing all the work your self- the TB125 is a superb model IMO.

53 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Well worth it if your doing all the work your self- the TB125 is a superb model IMO.

Great machine!

I'm doing what I can myself, it's all pinned and line bored now, engines gone to yanmar for a rebuild, machine is fully disassembled and ready for blasting and painting. The slew motor has a bit of play so that's going to be rebuilt too and the undercarriage needs a bit of work where the idler slide in, its splayed out badly on one side. 

I'll stick up a few pics as I put it back together.

13 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Great machine!

I'm doing what I can myself, it's all pinned and line bored now, engines gone to yanmar for a rebuild, machine is fully disassembled and ready for blasting and painting. The slew motor has a bit of play so that's going to be rebuilt too and the undercarriage needs a bit of work where the idler slide in, its splayed out badly on one side. 

I'll stick up a few pics as I put it back together.

It will be like new when done- keep t photos coming, funnily enough my undercarriage bit where the idler Slides in had splashed out only an inch or so, but my goodness that took some bending back- think it would be best to heat it up first- I used a Good sized bottle jack and it was pushing the whole machine sideways, and the damn thing still didn’t bend back!

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

How many mm play was in your king post to require the line boring- mine is starting to develop a me want to try and get it done before line boring is required...

Not that much,  but it was worn oval, it was causing a lurch in the arm when lifting heavy weights, (Bear in mind that I do use the machine well beyond it's intended scope!) coupled with wear in the slew motor it made for an uncomfortable ride! The outer diameter of the new bush is 3.5 mm over the old one so 1.75 mm taken off all round from centre point.

My plan for the undercarriage is to heat it, pull it back into place and reinforce both sides with a strip of 20×40 solid bar. I'm guessing heating will weaken the steel, so the bar is going to be necessary if I'm to keep it from becoming a recurring issue.

18 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Not that much,  but it was worn oval, it was causing a lurch in the arm when lifting heavy weights, (Bear in mind that I do use the machine well beyond it's intended scope!) coupled with wear in the slew motor it made for an uncomfortable ride! The outer diameter of the new bush is 3.5 mm over the old one so 1.75 mm taken off all round from centre point.

My plan for the undercarriage is to heat it, pull it back into place and reinforce both sides with a strip of 20×40 solid bar. I'm guessing heating will weaken the steel, so the bar is going to be necessary if I'm to keep it from becoming a recurring issue.

Sounds good, how many hours is she on.

The old TB125 I had was on 5000 hrs and had a very rough life being largely an ex hire machine and the slew was just starting to get rough at 4500 hrs. My newer one is on 2500 but it’s been a really well looked after machine as had it from 1000hrs and it was owner op before that, so will be interesting to see how many hours il get out of it before major works are required like your having.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

It will be like new when done- keep t photos coming, funnily enough my undercarriage bit where the idler Slides in had splashed out only an inch or so, but my goodness that took some bending back- think it would be best to heat it up first- I used a Good sized bottle jack and it was pushing the whole machine sideways, and the damn thing still didn’t bend back!

Not to piss on anyones chips but I beg to differ.

Skills to do what Connor is doing (if done well) are £40-50 an hour. Equipment is expensive, parts are horrendous. So how much could he make doing the same or even normal arb work? You like to think it will increase the value of the machine, but the reality is it doesn't. Not be any appreciable amount and certainly not by even 25% of the cost to do it all in my experience. Been there go the T shirt.

Brand new 2.7t machines that will be reliable backed by warranty are available on 0% finance currently. Especially as Connor admits he uses the machine hard (beyond it's intended scope ?), I'd be going down that route myself. Decent deposit from the TB125, maybe £200 a month over five years.

Howver I've been in his shoes, the experience was enjoyable (at the time- a bit like shagging a rotter), and I learnt a lot (again, like shagging a rotter- don't do it again) Plus skills for life (again, like shagging a dirty bird!)

I trust most of you can appreciate the anology....

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, doobin said:

Skills to do what Connor is doing (if done well) are £40-50 an hour. Equipment is expensive, parts are horrendous. So how much could he make doing the same or even normal arb work? You like to think it will increase the value of the machine, but the reality is it doesn't. Not be any appreciable amount and certainly not by even 25% of the cost to do it all in my experience. Been there go the T shirt.

Brand new 2.7t machines that will be reliable backed by warranty are available on 0% finance currently. Especially as Connor admits he uses the machine hard (beyond it's intended scope ?), I'd be going down that route myself. Decent deposit from the TB125, maybe £200 a month over five years.

Howver I've been in his shoes, the experience was enjoyable (at the time- a bit like shagging a rotter), and I learnt a lot (again, like shagging a rotter- don't do it again) Plus skills for life (again, like shagging a dirty bird!)

42 minutes ago, doobin said:

I don’t disagree with you at all-But I quite admire Connor for being so tenacious with a machine, it’s not a route I would go down myself as I’m not really a fan of wasting time and money fixing things- it would be interesting to know how much he has spent all in on parts never mind the labour? But even a shagged (to continue the analogy!) TB125 will fetch quite good money at the mo. All the machines I’ve ever had I’ve been happy changing tracks and a few bushes/sprockets here and there- as soon as it gets into major component failure things start getting expensive rapidly and the best place for it is eBay. That said my TB125 is a low houred minter and I’m half tempered to stick it on eBay for a ridiculous price and see if anyone bites!