Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

51 minutes ago, william127 said:

I need some advise with my little kubota kx36 - 3. 

Last Friday I went to use it and the arm and track functions were virtually dead. The blade and slew are working fine but when you try and use any of the arm functions I just get groaning noises! 

I have changed the hydraulic oil and filters, no change--I wasn't really expecting any as the blade and slew work but seemed a sensible start. 

Anyone know how I bleed the hydraulics on this machine? I did put a new hose on it a few weeks ago but it's done a couple of problem free days work since and I've never had to bleed it before. 

Its bound to be the highly expensive pump??, but any suggestions would be welcome! 

Has it got plenty of oil in it?

Unlikely to need bleeding.

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Not a big problem if you fit an intensifier on that service then

No but why should you have all the additional costs when nobody else needs to, and intensifiers will slow the cycle time considerably.

The main functions of the JCB 85z are running at 280Bar, they’ve just decided to set the Auxiliary at 190Bar and back to the original point it’s not enough for Tree Shear work.

I’ve said before guys need to get pressure check and optimised to the Shear for optimum performance.

Many like Kubota need a tweak unless you’re using a TMK Shear where you can order a ram specific to your machines pressure.

JCB fall down badly in available solutions, so people are best doing their own homework.

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie

4 hours ago, Bogoak said:

Tell me about these “intensifiers” please?

My experience is quite out of date now but even then they were a bit of a kludge. At the time Hiab loaders from lorries were being adapted for more off road uses, one of the problems was that lorry loaders tended to work on the flat and so the slew function didn't need much force or pressure. Once you were working on sidling ground and were swinging a load slightly uphill the slew rams couldn't cope so intensifiers were used in the circuit. Later better solutions like tandem slew rams and levelling king posts on purpose built machines made the use obsolete.

They may still have a niche, I envisaged using one alongside a regenerative function  on a splitting ram where the only power was from a simple gear pump, this would allow three increasing forces as the ram encountered a tougher log to split. Plainly there are trade-offs and the obvious one is that the ram will work slower to gain the extra pressure, as Eddy says. So whilst one wouldn't buy a machine to run a high pressure ram than the hydraulics could supply if you already have the machine and want to use the high pressure cutter then it becomes possible. Of course the hydraulic components downstream of the intensifier need to be capable of resisting the higher pressure than the rest of the equipment has to.

intensifier.jpg.dccb62fb06dca7afeff5b5be0354cf53.jpg

You have to select an intensifier ram so that the ratio of piston area to rod side area is the inverse of the pressure available to the required pressure. In the case Eddy specified  the piston side to rod side ratio needs to be 250:190 and the stroke on the rod side has to deliver  enough oil to  fully operate the high pressure ram. The rod of the intensifier just moves in and out and is not attached to anything. In practice you will need a diverter to occasionally  reset the intensifier ram if there is any creep or oil loss

• Like 1

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

My experience is quite out of date now but even then they were a bit of a kludge. At the time Hiab loaders from lorries were being adapted for more off road uses, one of the problems was that lorry loaders tended to work on the flat and so the slew function didn't need much force or pressure. Once you were working on sidling ground and were swinging a load slightly uphill the slew rams couldn't cope so intensifiers were used in the circuit. Later better solutions like tandem slew rams and levelling king posts on purpose built machines made the use obsolete.

They may still have a niche, I envisaged using one alongside a regenerative function  on a splitting ram where the only power was from a simple gear pump, this would allow three increasing forces as the ram encountered a tougher log to split. Plainly there are trade-offs and the obvious one is that the ram will work slower to gain the extra pressure, as Eddy says. So whilst one wouldn't buy a machine to run a high pressure ram than the hydraulics could supply if you already have the machine and want to use the high pressure cutter then it becomes possible. Of course the hydraulic components downstream of the intensifier need to be capable of resisting the higher pressure than the rest of the equipment has to.

intensifier.jpg.dccb62fb06dca7afeff5b5be0354cf53.jpg

You have to select an intensifier ram so that the ratio of piston area to rod side area is the inverse of the pressure available to the required pressure. In the case Eddy specified  the piston side to rod side ratio needs to be 250:190 and the stroke on the rod side has to deliver  enough oil to  fully operate the high pressure ram. The rod of the intensifier just moves in and out and is not attached to anything. In practice you will need a diverter to occasionally  reset the intensifier ram if there is any creep or oil loss

Ah, thanks. Simple enough........ in theory.

Hi folks
Yanmar BV25 2004

The ignition warning buzzer has started to stay on, so turn the key to the left pre warm buzzer goes off, turn right engine starts, but now the buzzer is staying on, no other warning lights, it only started today after we washed the machine, no problems before hand 

Any ideas gent 

Thanks in advance