Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

5 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

hello, looking at a 2008 Takeuchi TB016, 2800 hours with 3 buckets

£7200 - no vat

anyone else run one or any advice and if that price sounds good

cheers ?

I had one once, was my first digger. fantastic machine. Nothing out of the ordinary to really look for- just usual pins and bushes , make sure slew is smooth, tracks in a straight line etc. If it’s been looked after than those hours shouldn’t be a problem. Good luck!

24 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Need some advice from you fine people.

I'm looking to buy a fixed grapple, (the type with an integral ram so I don't need a welded on thumb bracket) and potentially some other implements to use on hired in excavators (5-8 ton)

What is the best sort of linkage to specify on the attachments to ensure that I can fit the grab etc onto a variety of brands of excavator.

Hydraulics is a whole nuther issue. I'll come back to you on this one.

Many thanks, TVI.

Might be worth phoning the hire co where you get the digger from and getting the measurements for their hitches as all machines vary a little even same size machines can have different pins/dipper width etc. Probably best to get a hitch made up with loose pins (instead of welded) and you could probably get the hitch made with 2 sets of holes to accommodate a 5 and 8 tonner.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Might be worth phoning the hire co where you get the digger from and getting the measurements for their hitches as all machines vary a little even same size machines can have different pins/dipper width etc. Probably best to get a hitch made up with loose pins (instead of welded) and you could probably get the hitch made with 2 sets of holes to accommodate a 5 and 8 tonner.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you describe what you mean by 'loose pins'?

Is this hitch a separate piece that goes between the machine and attachment or is it permanently fixed to the attachment?

13 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Excuse my ignorance, but can you describe what you mean by 'loose pins'?

Is this hitch a separate piece that goes between the machine and attachment or is it permanently fixed to the attachment?

Most machines from the hire co will have a quick hitch- so you don’t have to physically remove pins to change a bucket. However the grab you buy will need pins in its hitch for the quick hitch to couple onto. If the pins on the grabs hitch are loose (so they are held in place by a Lynch pin or bolt and thus removable) it means you can take them out to use bigger pins in another set of holes for the larger digger. I think this is the most cost effective way of enableing one hitch to cover a few different size diggers but someone may have a better idea...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I had one once, was my first digger. fantastic machine. Nothing out of the ordinary to really look for- just usual pins and bushes , make sure slew is smooth, tracks in a straight line etc. If it’s been looked after than those hours shouldn’t be a problem. Good luck!

ok cheers, just want something reliable that will hold it's value - from what i have read about them they seem a buy in that sort of size ?

11 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

hello, looking at a 2008 Takeuchi TB016, 2800 hours with 3 buckets

£7200 - no vat

anyone else run one or any advice and if that price sounds good

cheers ?

They are the 1.5toner you want  to have,  if you're looking used? In fact I'd rather have 2 of them than 1 new machine, far more useful! 

I would have rather had 1 than my Kubota, but prices were a little higher 4 years ago, the price you're looking at seems good/OK to me. 

Good luck with it?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, william127 said:

They are the 1.5toner you want  to have,  if you're looking used? In fact I'd rather have 2 of them than 1 new machine, far more useful! 

I would have rather had 1 than my Kubota, but prices were a little higher 4 years ago, the price you're looking at seems good/OK to me. 

Good luck with it?

thanks will, sounds like it's a good little digger!! cheers

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 07:35, the village idiot said:

Need some advice from you fine people.

I'm looking to buy a fixed grapple, (the type with an integral ram so I don't need a welded on thumb bracket) and potentially some other implements to use on hired in excavators (5-8 ton)

What is the best sort of linkage to specify on the attachments to ensure that I can fit the grab etc onto a variety of brands of excavator.

Hydraulics is a whole nuther issue. I'll come back to you on this one.

Many thanks, TVI.

I’d just opt for a bolt on top bracket, as in the sizes you’re talking it’s really not going to be huge money to have a few made up to fit the various machines you’ll be thinking of using.

I can source them for you if you’re stuck around £120-£170.

Loose pins slightly more.

Things can be shared using different hole sizes and ‘dog bone’ pins to reduce the size and keep the Dipper arm central, mainly working for the 13 tonne and 20 tonne class, as they’re almost standard at 65 and 80 mm pins.

In the 5, 6 and 8 tonne class you’ll vary from 40 to 60 mm and because many quick hitches simply won’t have the ability to cope with multiple pin centres due to their size, you’ll need an accurate fit.

This is a typical 13/20 tonne multi pickup top, you’ll see the ‘dog bone’ pin fitted for when using it on 65mm pins.

Almost all 13 and 20 tonne hitches are what’s called multiple centre and will cope with a fair range of difference to pick up attachments from other brands.

F5B91989-7FD2-4BB6-A5BA-18698803F93B.jpeg.281b248813518c8d1127d26afdb1d53c.jpeg

Eddie.

• Thanks 1

Think I might have asked this before, but what is my best option for log handling?

I want to take cordwood from a stack, slew it round 180 degrees and then crosscut with chainsaws whilst holding the log off the ground.

Logs are generally 4-5 mtrs long and up to 20" diameter.

Am I better off with a grapple or a screw splitter? Let's say on an 8ton machine.

• Like 1