Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

8 minutes ago, ESS said:

6 minutes ago, ESS said:

Highlead ,.... without a carriage , basically a 360 with a 2 drum setup , with extended boom to get lift.

OK, I put a pulley up a spar tree, basically the jobs were too small to warrant the labour of rigging properly so I largely resorted to simple skidding and pulling a lot of line out.

6 minutes ago, ESS said:

I tested the double drum for Boughton, very solidly built as you can imagine, that bugger could pull.

I saw those when first announced but they never seemed to get into general use.

10 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I saw those when first announced but they never seemed to get into general use.

Year of the miners strike, 82? We did the field testing for them, I only ever came across one other that was being used by some Irish boys working on the blow. They were a belting winch and ran rings round the Igland for pull.

43 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Now I have time on my hands I'd like to rig a simple skyline in a small hillside woodland I do voluntary work but the charity that runs it are not keen in funding the machinery movement.

...exactly my intention, going to look at a double drum winch this weekend. K

41 minutes ago, Khriss said:

...exactly my intention, going to look at a double drum winch this weekend. K

Let me know how you get on, some of the smaller winches just have steel  crown wheels, the Igland 4002 has a phosphor bronze wheel more suited to the continuous duty.

I still have a highlead carriage and pulley for the return if you want to try anything out.

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Let me know how you get on, some of the smaller winches just have steel  crown wheels, the Igland 4002 has a phosphor bronze wheel more suited to the continuous duty.

I still have a highlead carriage and pulley for the return if you want to try anything out.

Cheers fr that ! Basically looked at the enormous setups in Oregon then looked at BigJ's low impact forestry technique and think skyline/ high lead can fill a gap. Tow able rig by 4x4 . 100m to 200m drag. The new machine featured is amazing but sheer cost dictates his operations.  K

2 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Yes, I hate the older levers.

4D43F295-7142-4F66-9AA7-E46ABD3F8500.jpeg

Nice one Stephen! What made you go for a wheeled digger out of interest? I.e what kind of work do you have in mind for it?

must admit I’ve been dithering for years over this- as in a wheeled digger provides a nice solution of getting a lot of digging power on site without the hassle of low loaders associated with track machines.

• Like 1