Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

2 hours ago, dumper said:

Look at a tb 219 rather than 216/016 more reach usually well looked after 

Be a fair jump up in the budget to get s 219.

I dislike them just for the distance between the blade and the tracks, it’s ridiculous.

Eddie.

3 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Was surprised at how much louder the yanmar engines are compared to kubota, only noticed it the other day! 

I think the Yanmar are direct injection, and always supposed the Kubota to be indirect injection?, simply due to the quietness of the Kubota(based on my limited knowledge of car diesel engine technology)

So the Yanmar should be more efficient.

016 is a great little machine, have a 125 and I rate them very highly. Just watch them for overheating issues, the rad mounts can wear causing the tips of the fan blades to come in contact with the cowl, takes very little worn off these to reduce airflow
Also the drain pipe from the block to the bottom of the rad has a habit of developing a leak.
It may be possible to pick up one with these issues and fix it cheaply... or it could have caused an overheat and damaged the head. (Rare)
Apart from this and very occasional diesel stopper solenoid issues they are the cockroaches of the machinery world, it will be takeuchis and g wagons that survive the apocalypse!

I’d like a digger to be honest but not sure how much I’d use it. I come on here and see you lot talkig about model numbers then think i’ll leave it for now ? 

digger would be a digger to me unfortunately. If it fits budget/ semi clean and all works thats waht id look at

I’d like a digger to be honest but not sure how much I’d use it. I come on here and see you lot talkig about model numbers then think i’ll leave it for now [emoji23] 

digger would be a digger to me unfortunately. If it fits budget/ semi clean and all works thats waht id look at
Once you have one you will use it! Add a thumb grab (make sure you have flow and return auxiliary hydraulics ie, power both ways on the hammer lines) makes the machine much more versatile.
Fantastic labour savers, especially if you own one, it's there whenever you need it.
Older machines are generally simple to repair and once you are familiar with the "feel" of your own machine it's amazing what you can do with them!
As regards model numbers and brands, it can be confusing! Keep it simple and look for a takeuchi tb016, generally recognised as the best in its category, with little in the way of electronics to go wrong and built to a high standard.

I'd avoid hinowa and be cautious of jcb, chance a Hitachi or be comfortable with a Kubota, but I'd go that bit above budget for the right takeuchi.
Once you have the machine the work will follow!

40 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Once you have one you will use it! Add a thumb grab (make sure you have flow and return auxiliary hydraulics ie, power both ways on the hammer lines) makes the machine much more versatile.
Fantastic labour savers, especially if you own one, it's there whenever you need it.
Older machines are generally simple to repair and once you are familiar with the "feel" of your own machine it's amazing what you can do with them!
As regards model numbers and brands, it can be confusing! Keep it simple and look for a takeuchi tb016, generally recognised as the best in its category, with little in the way of electronics to go wrong and built to a high standard.

I'd avoid hinowa and be cautious of jcb, chance a Hitachi or be comfortable with a Kubota, but I'd go that bit above budget for the right takeuchi.
Once you have the machine the work will follow!

Agree, I’m on my forth Takeuchi. First was a TB016- belter, 2x TB125s both faultless and barely had a spanner to them in 5000 hrs. Recently got the new TB216 (new version of the TB016) it’s good but would prefer the TB016 again if they still made them. 

I think they lack a little in lifting capacity compared with some others but for their reach, bucket-blade cleanup, heavier duty dozer blade and general robust steel bodywork they do take some beating- smooth as anything to operate.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2019 at 08:56, jonnygurkha said:

Consequently I now want to join the club. Looking to buy a 1.5 tonne machine to play around with in my field but also to start using for a bit of tree work here and there. I don’t think I’ll use it huge amounts initially but enough to warrant buying rather than hiring. I’ll have about £6-7k. Is this enough to get a reasonable 2nd hand or do I use it as a deposit to get a newer 2nd hand. Makes and models? I’d like under 2t to make it easily towable. TIA

How about trying to find a Case CX23. I think this is a superb model. Undercarriage is very similar to a 3 tonner but the machine is only 2.3 ton so easily towable. Far more capable in lift capacity over a TB016 My Dad has one and I think for an older machine it’s superb. they can be found for around 7-8k. 

https://www.mascus.co.uk/construction/used-mini-diggers-excavators-7/case-cx-23/ncmcmeoi.html

this would do someone very nicely for someone venturing into the digger world but not wanting to spend a fortune. Easily towable with attachments, stable as you like, everything you need, nothing you don’t! More like a (slightly) scaled down 3 tonner than an inflated 1.8t.

5 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

https://www.mascus.co.uk/construction/used-mini-diggers-excavators-7/case-cx-23/ncmcmeoi.html

this would do someone very nicely for someone venturing into the digger world but not wanting to spend a fortune. Easily towable with attachments, stable as you like, everything you need, nothing you don’t! More like a (slightly) scaled down 3 tonner than an inflated 1.8t.

That looks like a lot of digger for the money

?