Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Remember in the 90's a local ag rep, his company car was a granada he used to deliver machinery (5-6 furrow reversible ploughs etc) on tandem axle trailer and that was on electric brakes. Hhe said it was legal.

First day back at work and dragged the trusty old Kobelco out for the first time  in ages.  

For a 19 year old digger she is still sweet , put 2 new track motors on last year and 1 injector and that's all in 8 years since I have owned her .

All hooked up behind the trusty old Brown and chipper .

Ste

Screenshot_20190105-223312_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190105-223345_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, difflock said:

up to 3500Kg only for electric braked trailers

From your link:

"American “5th wheel” type caravans are considered semi trailers and, as such
cannot use an inertia (overrun) type braking system. The operation of the towing
vehicle’s braking system must directly operate the brakes on the trailer and
electrically controlled systems are permitted."

"

In the case of a semitrailer or centre-axle trailer, the maximum mass to be considered for classifying the trailer
corresponds to the static vertical load transmitted to the ground by the axle or axles of the semitrailer or centre-axle trailer
when coupled to the towing vehicle and carrying its maximum load."

So what you are saying is  .  .  .

Or where does your 2nd para be sourced?

but then if whatever proportion of the load not being carried by the semi-trailer, must be added to the towing vehicle, which for "my" Ford F-150, would very easily push the GVW over the 3500KG limit for driver legality, surely, since there are never any free lunches with these regs?

13 minutes ago, difflock said:

So what you are saying is  .  .  .

Isn't it past your bed time young man?

Or where does your 2nd para be sourced?

It's the foot note in the document

but then if whatever proportion of the load not being carried by the semi-trailer, must be added to the towing vehicle, which for "my" Ford F-150, would very easily push the GVW over the 3500KG limit for driver legality, surely, since there are never any free lunches with these regs?

Well  it looks like @donnk  found there were, currently and for the purpose of your document they have been removed  for someone taking the trailer (B+E) test after  2013 also  I believe they are aware of the possibility and I don't think you will any longer be able to make use of it.

For the current licences then B+E allows a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes and a trailer up to 3.5 tonnes (with tacho if necessary but no O licence if trailer is less than 1020kg unladen) now as your document says  you can gross 3.5 tonnes on the trailer axles, the super imposed load on the truck doesn't count.

E.G. if you have a truck with 2tonne unladen weight and trailer with 1020 unladen weight then you can carry 1.5 tonne of weight of nose of trailer plus fuel and driver on the truck wheels plus the load on the trailer axles. Potentially this is a total payload of 3980kg including driver and equipment if you get the weight distribution right.

• Thanks 1

Thanks OSM,

Believe it or not, I read through that Doc I linked a few times and did not see that footnote, or pay heed to that footnote, a weakness of mine I am troubled to admit, and it took me a lot of years to acknowledge this unfortunate trait.

EDITED: Whale Oil Beef Hooked!  there it was in that small small small small print

Anyway, that is the "why" they tweeked the regs in 2013.

Thank you,

Marcus 

Edited by difflock

Nice Kubota Kx161 LGP I did a little bit on before Xmas.

Always rated them, bombproof machine and still putting in a great shift.

First time I’ve used a Scandinavian Profile Tilt Bucket and I must say I was very impressed.

This is a Hardlife version, I can get hold of some absolutely top quality Swedish ones from EMA now.

Not a Tiltrotator, but closer than you’d think real world, really helped the job along, which was a bit of a nightmare, but love a challenge.

Just installing some concrete panels to form this crossing/drinker so it can be fenced with water gates.

4564F047-82ED-46E5-A325-091351CD51D7.thumb.jpeg.480a4b88e75fc3011098bbfe9347088a.jpeg

7813295A-40FE-49F6-A231-44B90D50427D.thumb.jpeg.ec52c4135f1debe9ce5cea043f7c132f.jpeg

0A0868A3-0705-4048-98CC-D2FB0F5DA01F.thumb.jpeg.83a91aae303a0450e5b94a63d0f31abe.jpeg

9B879BAF-D8ED-4B9F-867B-8DD71030B938.thumb.jpeg.19aeacc56ecc4369299ee2e0482d2a6e.jpeg

8CC7BED4-6316-41BB-92AE-D15211B7F7A1.thumb.jpeg.379f1c16458f093e33efd60d8bd0046e.jpeg

8CC7BED4-6316-41BB-92AE-D15211B7F7A1.thumb.jpeg.379f1c16458f093e33efd60d8bd0046e.jpeg

Eddie.

64C01D4C-AE03-4171-86F4-7B494ACE9458.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Isn't it past your bed time young man?

It's the foot note in the document

Well  it looks like @donnk  found there were, currently and for the purpose of your document they have been removed  for someone taking the trailer (B+E) test after  2013 also  I believe they are aware of the possibility and I don't think you will any longer be able to make use of it.

For the current licences then B+E allows a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes and a trailer up to 3.5 tonnes (with tacho if necessary but no O licence if trailer is less than 1020kg unladen) now as your document says  you can gross 3.5 tonnes on the trailer axles, the super imposed load on the truck doesn't count.

E.G. if you have a truck with 2tonne unladen weight and trailer with 1020 unladen weight then you can carry 1.5 tonne of weight of nose of trailer plus fuel and driver on the truck wheels plus the load on the trailer axles. Potentially this is a total payload of 3980kg including driver and equipment if you get the weight distribution right.

thats right you need an old licence and there is no restriction on the weight you can tow, the llimit is the vehicles plated train weight.

image.thumb.png.e2b73ae936308791231d7c7b8a3d7afe.png