Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Hi guys, quick question, I have a 3.5t kubota and am in the process of putting a rotating finger grab on it. Now my issue is the guy I'm dealing with is very easy to get on with and has gone through everything which I'm happy with but just before I pulled the trigger today and purchased I had a look at the weight of rotator and grab which is 290kg and said to myself am I buying something that's not suitable for machine, now my guy said it will work it no problem but I don't want a machine that's not fluent because the application is too heavy, any thoughts welcome 

• Like 1

Hi guys, quick question, I have a 3.5t kubota and am in the process of putting a rotating finger grab on it. Now my issue is the guy I'm dealing with is very easy to get on with and has gone through everything which I'm happy with but just before I pulled the trigger today and purchased I had a look at the weight of rotator and grab which is 290kg and said to myself am I buying something that's not suitable for machine, now my guy said it will work it no problem but I don't want a machine that's not fluent because the application is too heavy, any thoughts welcome 
I have a grab rotator on my 2.8t takeuchi and it weighs around 100kg

1 hour ago, irish surgeon said:

Hmmm... I'd be shy of hanging 290kg (plus brackets & pipework?) off the end of a 3.5 tonne machine, to be honest.

My brash grapple and fixed rotator totals 167kg according to the spec sheets, plus brackets and pipework, so in the region of 200kg in total I'm guesstimating.

It's nicely matched to the 5 tonne Yanmar ViO 50 (zero-swing machine) it's on, but you'd still need to be careful with anything of consequence in it at full stretch out to the side.

I have a felling head for it that specs at 220kg, plus brackets and pipework, so totalling at around 250kg I'm thinking, which is getting on for being a bit uncomfortable for the machine. You very much have to be careful of overloading/tipping.

Can you dummy up that sort of weight on the digger (plus another 200kg+ for payload) and see how it handles?

Edited by Melodeon

30 minutes ago, Melodeon said:

Can you dummy up that sort of weight on the digger (plus another 100kg for payload) and see how it handles?

Good idea, I just spoke with manufacturer and he just told me there's a guy not very far away from me who is working one on a 3ton so that will be very interesting, I will let ye know how it goes will have a look tomorrow 

A though occurred to me: are you sure about that 290kg total?

That's something like 200kg for the grab and 90kg for the rotator, and that size of kit is what's specced for 7 tonne machines rigid mounted and 10 tonners pendulum.

It sounds insane for a 3.5 tonne machine.

17 hours ago, irish surgeon said:

Yeah- 290kg is going to be WAY to heavy for a 3.5t- it will lift it at full reach without any fuss but being a floppy grab you are going to be using it full reach a lot to get the height when stacking timber.

should be able to get something around the 150-60kg mark for that size machine.

i have a 350kg postknocker on my conventional tail 2.8tonnet. When it’s at full reach on flat ground it will lift a back track off the ground out the side.

• Like 1