Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone, I have a few questions about my kubota kx36-3 1.5 tonner.

no1, easiest first. Where is the best place to buy a complete set of pins/bushes/shims to refurbish the arm?

2, at some point in the future I'd like to buy a tilting grading bucket. If I buy one with a single cylinder do I just plug it into the hammer lines?

3. Talking of hammer lines, last time I used my log splitter there seemed to be absolutely no power when actually trying to split a log, but the splitter moved in and out as I would expect when not loaded. The tracking and digging functioned perfectly. Any ideas where I start looking?

4 towards the end of my last job the digger was on the point of stalling when I was trying turn/climb the ramp up the trailer. I had to really nurse it up the ramp. I thought it may have been overly hot but when I went to move it today from cold it was the same. My first port of call will be to check the oils and filters but they have all been done recently and look good at a glance. Any ideas?

5 On this machine the bucket stops about 6 inches short of the blade when pulling the arm towards the machine to clear up loose materials from a flat surface. I'd like to extend the blade frame to change this, and it would help  with clearances when using the tow bar on the blade, and it would give me more levelling reach when working on a slope. My fabricator is more than capable of extending the frame but is there any reason not to?

6 In this months earthmover she there is a Takeuchi tb216 fitted with a helac powertilt hitch, has anyone any idea if they do one for my kubota or any experience with one? Rough idea on price?

I love my little digger and want to get it working up to scratch, then improve and customise it, acquire many attachments and custom them!

thanks in advance, William.

• Like 1

Someone far more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly but my tuppence worth:

2. You need a double acting if you want a tilt bucket. Make sure your machine has that or you will only be able to tilt one way and not return. Hammer lines are often one way I believe.

3. What is you flow rate for the aux circuit. You might not have enough pressure or flow to run that splitter.

4. Sounds like not enough hydraulic oil to me. I had a hose leak and had to 'limp' back to the trailer and it was struggling as you described. Once the oil was topped up it was fine again.

No idea on the rest, good luck!

In response to 5 if its only 6 inches short try lifting the machine on the blade slightly it will probably give you enough to scrape up to the blade.

My JCB 8014 has that problem and all I do is get most of the stuff out the way and then lift it high on the blade for the last few buckets.

1) digbits will do pins and bushes for any machine

2) To follow on from Richie, yes you need double acting, does your machine have 2 hammer lines? If so there will be a lever somewhere on you machine to make it either a single acting circuit or double acting- you want the latter.

3) There is usually a valve on the aux hoses just where you couple the attachments too- in mine it’s a bolt you turn to shut aux fluid off- make sure they are fully open. When you are using the log splitter- can you hear the engine bogging down/pump straining? Also could be a pressure relief valve on the actual log splitter? 

4) that’s a little worrying- does the digging functions still perform as normal, ie just tracking a problem? Does it track in a straight line?. Make sure your track motors have enough oil in them.

5) This is one o the reasons I like Takeuchis- they have actually sat down at worked out the buckets - blade geometry. It baffles me why so many manufacturers fall short in this area on 1.5t machines. If you extend your blade just be aware that consequently it will lift higher- make sure it can’t fowl on any slewing operations when it’s lifted?? Otherwise I’d say go for it- it makes life so much easier really.

6) powertilts are about £3k plus I believe. Would one of these suffice- certainly a lot cheaper but obviously it’s a less compact unit at the end.https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/excavator-bucket-tilt-attachment-to-fit-diggers-from-1-5t-2-7t-inc-VAT-and-pins-/181592362122