Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Interesting one for you, very good mate required a zero tail 8 tonner for a specific application, knows his stuff, but asked my opinion.

The reaction when I said go and see the new JCB 85z was less than favourable, but when I added I'd buy one, he was clearly puzzled?

This guy doesn't mess about, and a few hours later a call from the actual JCB dealers yard, after he's been all over one, with a pretty stunned reaction!

Another call, his mate is Takeuchi like a stick of rock, I mean literally every size from micro to 14 tonner, no way JCB, junk, split them in half to do a hose, all the usual, and not without substance of the older range.

Take him the factory with you was my reply, I'm saying nothing more on the subject, you're a good mate and I won't influence you.

Factory visit with mr Takeuchi who literally threw everything he had at it, took one for a test and blurts out in the car back, I'm stunned by that, it's nothing like anything that's gone before!

Fast forward I end up involved to do the final spec, and this is always the nice bit, but the difference apart from a couple of extra lights, absolutely everything is factory fitted, with nothing bought that isn't required, no third party involved and full three years warranty on the lot.

Ordered yesterday and about 6 weeks due to all the spec before delivery.

Just nice sometimes to credit a machine for what it is, and anyone who knows their kit will see a huge difference in the JCB compact stuff. They haven't done all the range but the 8 and 6 tonners are turning some respected heads now.

Eddie.

This is very encouraging as your the second person to give a very good and surprising review on the 8 ton jcb in as many days. This could have a big influence on my next purchase. Although the resale seems to be quite low on the few secondhand ones I've seen coming on the market.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

We can all be guilty at time of nailing our colours to a mast and go in a bit rose tinted when it comes to machines. In this instance the JCB genuinely surprised me when I originally tried the 86c, and after John Craig who never really comments on carrier machines, after installing Engcon on just about every known brand said you simply have to try their 6 tonner, something was changing?

Fast forward a bit, and some respected Owner Operators are taking them now, plus pushing them on in spec with Tiltrotators and attachments.

They are certainly gaining momentum, and that can only help residual values.

The main factor in this deal is I was able to spec all the options direct from the factory, longer dipper, auxiliary pipework circuits, case drain, blade float, front and top certified guards, led lighting package, chaff guards, travel alarm, strobes, hydraulic quick hitch, etc etc.

Nothing was purchased that had to be removed or altered by the supplying dealer, and I think the only job they have is bolting the rubber blocks onto the steel tracks and two side led's.

This route of not purchasing a machine that is simply Plant Hire spec and requires a lot of dealer input or third party, like my Kobelco unit, provided a saving of nearly 3k over the two rivals he had pricing, and no warranty arguments that someone else has been messing here?

Yet to arrive and will have to prove itself, but it's certainly turned some heads in the purchasing stage.

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie

Looking for a stump ripper thing to go on my volvo ec55, anybody got any recommendations

I'm currently looking at ripper tooth options for the Kobelco unit and it'll probably end up something bespoke from BMC Buckets or Northerntrack who do the Stump Raptor tooth, which looks a good bit of kit. They can make pretty much anything and are very respected in the demolition industry.

RSL advertise a pretty savage looking thing on e bay, and again they will build you anything you like I'd expect.

Interestingly whilst on the RSL site, they have a range of what seem pretty cost effective worm drive rotators advertised? May be ideal for anyone doing their own fixed grab project?

Eddie.

What would those that know recommend for a mulched/flail head on a 5 ton excavator (Kubota kx161-3)

Are Femac the way to go?

One operator we use went direct drive and it's an impressive head can't remember who make it though.

What controls do you use on your fixed grabs? For the rotation and opening closing?

More and more machines with Twin dual acting auxiliary circuits as the demands of attachments for more circuits increases.

Failing that a diverter valve on the boom offset circuit can provide a simple option to give the required 'rotate' pipework.

Companies like Summit Equipment can do kits to fit additional circuits to machines that don't currently have them, and many dealers use them.

Eddie.