Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Again what is the right rotator :biggrin:, we have a demolition grab on the 21ton machine for sorting big timber at the yard and it is very good if lacking the rotation torque of a worm geared tilt rotate set-up

Everyone seems to go on about Engcon, but there are 3 other out there why do these not get much mention? And what are the cost differences.

I use Engcon, so obviously I just mention what I have. It's a whole subject in itself, and no there really aren't any bad ones, and there's a lot more than three out there.

Cost is the tricky one, as this is where you can be literally undersold a solution to gain a deal, leaving the purchaser with limited options when it comes to utilising other solutions the Tiltrotator may bring in future.

My advice to anyone is speak to users to find out what your requirements may be, and even go and see a user with a similar setup.

Compare your quotes with a fine tooth comb! The control system is the big one, if missed off and using the machine circuits, it's night and day in terms of cost and future expansion.

If anyone tells you one unit is stronger than the other, simply tell them there's no skip of broken units of any colour anywhere!

I stunned a rep recently when I said I can generally write a reasoned argument what to fit any of the main colours of Tiltrotator, but only when I've spoke to someone at length can I ascertain what they presently do and what they possibly hope to achieve can I actually recommend one, and no it won't always be Engcon.

The worm drive rotator needs much investigation I think?

Eddie.

Should work, just wanted to add this was my first ever excavator flail and a great bit of kit it turned out to be.

Only issues I ever had were due to being too greedy with it, operating it probably three times above its rated capacity at times, but even that only cost me a balance on the shaft which wasn't too bad.

Exac-One supported it very well.

Must be some on here running or hiring Avant/Flail setups that can help you more.

Eddie.

thank you eddie, please excuse my ignorance, when you say "operating it prob 3 times above its rated cap..." how do you mean exactly? what sort of work would be pushing it past its capability. I want it mainly for cutting paths through gorse and small areas of scrub on site clearance jobs.

thank you eddie, please excuse my ignorance, when you say "operating it prob 3 times above its rated cap..." how do you mean exactly? what sort of work would be pushing it past its capability. I want it mainly for cutting paths through gorse and small areas of scrub on site clearance jobs.

I had it on an 8 tonne excavator and would take something like Birch up to around 14" on a regular basis, and I mean flush to the ground.

An excavator base obviously allows such abuse, I make no excuses, but it's very easy to get sucked into, well it's just done that one, lets try this!

I honestly had great success with the Osma, only had one shaft balance and a couple of flails in the time I had it.

I think you'll have no issues at all.

Eddie.

I had it on an 8 tonne excavator and would take something like Birch up to around 14" on a regular basis, and I mean flush to the ground.

An excavator base obviously allows such abuse, I make no excuses, but it's very easy to get sucked into, well it's just done that one, lets try this!

I honestly had great success with the Osma, only had one shaft balance and a couple of flails in the time I had it.

I think you'll have no issues at all.

Eddie.

happy days! cheers. much appreciated.

Called to see progress on my new Kobelco unit today, and it's going to be some beast!

The Heavy lift 1.4 tonne counterweight is on, 800mm track pads, with an unusual 100mm inward offset to keep transport width down, and rubber block pads. Guards have been replaced with thicker items, extra track guides etc.

This unit has a full Prolec envelope monitor system that will allow me to programme in limits for slew/height when working on highways etc.

Packing in a good 30 tonne now we estimate in the base carrier, it should more than boss the job.

Lighting package, guarding etc to go on yet, but should be with me early next week to get started on the Engcon and attachments.

Eddie.

Hello Guys

Here is the final version of a project I started thinking about more than a year ago - a post driver based on a Mini Excavator. In this case an IHI NX25. I chose this machine for its stability as it has one of the largest track frames in its class, and I couldn't get a suitable conventional tail down here in my price range.

The post driver is based on a vibratory compactor, in this case using a Pneuvibe CP-30 unit. Its fairly conventional in terms of compactor plates, but built with post driving in mind - isolators in compression rather than shear. This is a Mk11 "helmet", this helmet intergrates the auger nicely, it can be deployed with a 45 degree crowd, and is self cradling.

The unit has been tested and works well, in normal going it will set a sheep or deer fence post much quicker than I can do it with the tractor, and all whilst using 20 HP/2.7 tonnes versus 85 HP and 7.1 tonnes. On a machine of this size the auger is essential as posts set to a depth of 900/1200mm or more, and strainers usually require a pilot hole. How it performs is very dependent on the soil structure and its moisture content.

The "mini rock spike" is to make a pilot hole to stand the next post up in, modus operandi is to drive a post, walk up the the next one, make pilot hole, then hop off to set post (I work alone) then back on to drive it. Saves a lot of wear on ones frame in a day as its two steps up to the digger compared with 4 on the tractor.

20170622_144134_zpsushkanpi.jpg[/url]

20170622_144222_zpshstnrdkk.jpg

Well this is a tough one.

Looked at the tak tb230 and the kabota 71-3 this week, on paper the kubota has slightly more reach and lift capacity and wider and longer track footprint, but it's very close, but when you drive the takuechi it's miles ahead of the kubota.

Now to decide which one, I am leaning towards the takuechi. but worried I might regret not having the larger capacity.

Well this is a tough one.

Looked at the tak tb230 and the kabota 71-3 this week, on paper the kubota has slightly more reach and lift capacity and wider and longer track footprint, but it's very close, but when you drive the takuechi it's miles ahead of the kubota.

Now to decide which one, I am leaning towards the takuechi. but worried I might regret not having the larger capacity.

I always find Kubotas lifting capacity chart a little 'optimistic'. Even if it can lift what they say you are limited by it trying to tilt on anything but flat ground (on why these charts are based)

I do believe if you run a defender you can tow the Kx71-3. It's 2.8t operating weight and buckets can go in the rear tub of the truck. The TB230 however is pushing it on the weight- I think it's over 2.9 machine weight if I recall.

Wider and longer tracks are always a good thing- but I think you will find the TB230 very stable and it has a good hefty tail swing.

Poor paint on Takeuchi, in 5 years time it will probably look 10years old (they may have improved newer models) but then again easy enough to touch up if your bothered about that kind of thing.

I reckon it probably comes down to which dealer makes the best coffee.

Honestly think you'd be chuffed with either machine

Hello Guys

Here is the final version of a project I started thinking about more than a year ago - a post driver based on a Mini Excavator. In this case an IHI NX25. I chose this machine for its stability as it has one of the largest track frames in its class, and I couldn't get a suitable conventional tail down here in my price range.

The post driver is based on a vibratory compactor, in this case using a Pneuvibe CP-30 unit. Its fairly conventional in terms of compactor plates, but built with post driving in mind - isolators in compression rather than shear. This is a Mk11 "helmet", this helmet intergrates the auger nicely, it can be deployed with a 45 degree crowd, and is self cradling.

The unit has been tested and works well, in normal going it will set a sheep or deer fence post much quicker than I can do it with the tractor, and all whilst using 20 HP/2.7 tonnes versus 85 HP and 7.1 tonnes. On a machine of this size the auger is essential as posts set to a depth of 900/1200mm or more, and strainers usually require a pilot hole. How it performs is very dependent on the soil structure and its moisture content.

The "mini rock spike" is to make a pilot hole to stand the next post up in, modus operandi is to drive a post, walk up the the next one, make pilot hole, then hop off to set post (I work alone) then back on to drive it. Saves a lot of wear on ones frame in a day as its two steps up to the digger compared with 4 on the tractor.

20170622_144134_zpsushkanpi.jpg[/url]

20170622_144222_zpshstnrdkk.jpg

Well done Foster- you've obviously put a lot of thought into that and nice to have auger/spike and rammer all in one place. Do you find you have problems trying to get posts in that are up against banks/wallls etc with the auger sticking out?

I'm a big fan of digger mounted postknockers as you know for many of the reasons you have outlined. Quite often I use a plumb line with a small weight hanging of the post as I ram it in- you can get your posts just as straight as a spirit level and easy to adjust as your knocking it in