Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

If you actually want a Selector Grab then the Kinshoffer HPX 09 can't really be beaten on an 8 tonner. Unbelievably strong grabs with great holding power.

If you want it for timber or brash then undoubtedly the Intermercato Tiger Grip setup. As for a worm drive rotator from them, it would be interesting to see the cost because the majority don't seem to take them.

I sadly have a need for the Engcon Selector type, you'd be surprised just how much digging I use the grab for, but an Intermercato Tiger Grip too. When you get to the larger sizes it's scary money and that's with no rotator!

Eddie.

It's just different techniques to use a Selector grab for the job. I work with a lot of guys and the ones used to simply grabbing at with a timber grab and closing it tight are usually lost with how to most effectively use something like a Selector grab which although not perfect can bring other benefits.

I've seen the Pro Dem and that's a nice setup, but the rotate won't hold solid like a worm setup.

I think there's still more to come in the market.

Eddie.

I never liked the idea of the worm setup if you pick up something thats off balance it can't lift a relief valve to stop overloads

I never liked the idea of the worm setup if you pick up something thats off balance it can't lift a relief valve to stop overloads

I suppose I'm just used to the Tiltrotator, it's heavy duty enough for anything you throw at it, and I've thrown some stuff at them over the years now.

I can't see why properly specced a good worm drive setup won't stand the pace, it's the trade off between cost against more traditional rotators I assume that doesn't see them as popular.

You're never far from an Intermercato setup and I suppose my main point is why no challengers out there as such to them?

It's what I'll be purchasing alongside my current Engcon Selector Grab, and despite a trip to Elmia, nothing shouted out as being a contender in this sector.

Eddie.

Hey guys,

I have a question. not digger related as such but digger attachment.

My avant 635 is being delivered in the next few weeks and I want to fit it out with a flail / mulcher. i.e:

http://www.exac-one.co.uk/files/Exac_Midi_Mower_Flyer_May_2016.pdf

The avant has 66lpm flow rate, any reason why this shouldn't work?

Anyone foresee problems?

Should work, just wanted to add this was my first ever excavator flail and a great bit of kit it turned out to be.

Only issues I ever had were due to being too greedy with it, operating it probably three times above its rated capacity at times, but even that only cost me a balance on the shaft which wasn't too bad.

Exac-One supported it very well.

Must be some on here running or hiring Avant/Flail setups that can help you more.

Eddie.

is anyone running a remote control Mecanil sg220 on their digger or crane?

We have a intermercato grapple for our crane already but am thinking of replacing /adding a grapple saw as well.

Intermercato here are trying to sell us their version of the mecanil .it has the same specs but has zero profile on the worldwide web

Looking for some feedback

What are those Yanmar 5 ton excavators like? We are after a 5 ton model to join the tree team something to take a grab and have good hydraulics for a flail/mulcher.

The Takeuchi seems a good machine we use a guy who runs a 3 ton with flail with grab from a 5 ton with engcon amazing what he can do.

Hired a kubota with free hanging grab and wasn't as impressed still handy but you lose so much over a fixed grab. My only concern is snapping a rotator unless it's heavy duty enough as those engcons are bomb proof.

Thing is I know nothing about excavators, have been looking at Kubota the KX161-3 but finding a good one is hard, looked at a 13 year old one that for year looked good but it worries me buying older diggers, would you guys be concerned. We are fairly commercial somwill work them hard.

Any other options with good oil flow for arb work to look for in the 5 ton range?

My humble opinion is the standard fixed braced 3/2 tone grapples have a lot going for them in general arb and scrub type work.

Firstly minimal outlay. But once you get fluid at using one in conjunction with offset boom you can stack timber pretty efficiently. They are mega tough you can rip out small stumps, knock round and roll big timber and perhaps most importantly you have far more loading height compared to a dangling rotating grab.

Plus they are far more multi purpose if you undertake other works- landscaping rock handling and fence line clearance-

Also with sub 3 ton machines you are slight limited what you can swing in a rotating grab with straggly brash etc because of cab contact, a fixed time grab you tend to knock brash piles in the right direction before you pick them up.

Just my thoughts

What are those Yanmar 5 ton excavators like? We are after a 5 ton model to join the tree team something to take a grab and have good hydraulics for a flail/mulcher.

The Takeuchi seems a good machine we use a guy who runs a 3 ton with flail with grab from a 5 ton with engcon amazing what he can do.

Hired a kubota with free hanging grab and wasn't as impressed still handy but you lose so much over a fixed grab. My only concern is snapping a rotator unless it's heavy duty enough as those engcons are bomb proof.

Thing is I know nothing about excavators, have been looking at Kubota the KX161-3 but finding a good one is hard, looked at a 13 year old one that for year looked good but it worries me buying older diggers, would you guys be concerned. We are fairly commercial somwill work them hard.

Any other options with good oil flow for arb work to look for in the 5 ton range?

I wouldn't be concerned about buying an older machine- I'd base it more on the machines wear and general condition than age. I recently went to look at a 2013 4 ton kubota kx121. Lovely condition but the bushes in the bucket tipping links were totally shot- it had done 4000hrs- and it was commanding strong money as it was still relatively young.

By comparison I have just bought a used Takeuchi 3 tonner 2007- I can honestly say you would never find a tidier machine short of new- it was like showroom condition and had been barn stored all its life only clocking up 1000hrs. However it was a good price because essentially it was a 10 yr old digger.