Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Not a very good picture but I Have been using the digger for so many different jobs on this sleeper wall job, digging back the bank and footings obviously but also unloading the sleepers and lowering them off the edge with the thumb and tooth, lowering the concrete into the trench with the buckey and ripping down an ivy covered tree.

image.jpg.5524af08d05ff4a3a41a7269d2ee0099.jpg

Loving the Guidetti Crusher, they're great tools, and that swimming Bobcat looked some adventure!:thumbup:

Just a couple of images of what Greg's been working at to try and come up with the all elusive holy grail of Tree Shears for Midi size machines.

I have a Tiger Cut 200 which suits under the Engcon use very well, being quick in operation plus has stood up to a huge amount of abuse the Kubota, which has a decent bit of weight and power can dish out to it.

However it has one simple failing all these grab onto knife type Shears share in common, they can drop stuff! Simply put the greater the angle from vertical the material to be cut is, the more chance it has of simply jumping out before the grab actually closes on it.

The other type of Shear is the Exac-One type which I simply couldn't use, as they are cut and drop type, but no getting away from it, simply nothing to touch them for cutting ability.

Having been totally disrespected by the Salesman for the Hans Habbig on the Liebherr, I was determined not to spend money with them, and despite being a top quality item with very safe cut/hold, they don't have a great cut capacity on smaller models.

I looked at getting an Excac-One type and putting a Timber Grab on as a gripper, but having studied a few it looked too flimsy for my applications.

It then came to me why not pull the knife out of the Tiger and utilise it as the gripper, then put an Exac-One cutter underneath?

So that's what I've done, and as well as being not too difficult, it keeps the Engcon Ec-Oil to connect up without leaving the cab.

It will be a bit slow at present but hopefully a mod to the Engcon will give me a good bit more auxiliary flow to improve that.

So the 'Tiger Lopper' is born and I can't wait to try it! It should hopefully have the Strongest grip/cut combo for it's size?

Eddie.

TL3.jpg.acebaf31b69a2a6aa1b879377b06e2c4.jpg

TL2.jpg.43a876d55f8848fb32b37fac3e19da03.jpg

TL1.jpg.fa9bf003d57ed5cad6b3c2d3ed57c8f2.jpg

Loving the Guidetti Crusher, they're great tools, and that swimming Bobcat looked some adventure!:thumbup:

Just a couple of images of what Greg's been working at to try and come up with the all elusive holy grail of Tree Shears for Midi size machines.

I have a Tiger Cut 200 which suits under the Engcon use very well, being quick in operation plus has stood up to a huge amount of abuse the Kubota, which has a decent bit of weight and power can dish out to it.

However it has one simple failing all these grab onto knife type Shears share in common, they can drop stuff! Simply put the greater the angle from vertical the material to be cut is, the more chance it has of simply jumping out before the grab actually closes on it.

The other type of Shear is the Exac-One type which I simply couldn't use, as they are cut and drop type, but no getting away from it, simply nothing to touch them for cutting ability.

Having been totally disrespected by the Salesman for the Hans Habbig on the Liebherr, I was determined not to spend money with them, and despite being a top quality item with very safe cut/hold, they don't have a great cut capacity on smaller models.

I looked at getting an Excac-One type and putting a Timber Grab on as a gripper, but having studied a few it looked too flimsy for my applications.

It then came to me why not pull the knife out of the Tiger and utilise it as the gripper, then put an Exac-One cutter underneath?

So that's what I've done, and as well as being not too difficult, it keeps the Engcon Ec-Oil to connect up without leaving the cab.

It will be a bit slow at present but hopefully a mod to the Engcon will give me a good bit more auxiliary flow to improve that.

So the 'Tiger Lopper' is born and I can't wait to try it! It should hopefully have the Strongest grip/cut combo for it's size?

Eddie.

can you take a pic of the top of the saddle i take it the shiny bit in between the 2 pins is the oil quick system how does it compensate for wear on the pins does the connector float

The Exac-One cutter is rated to 10" but it's generally accepted they will do around 14" without issues if you just move it around a little, which is easy with the Engcon. Generally if you put it in, the Exac type will cut it, which obviously is the drawback of the Tiger Shear where you can grip far more than you can possibly cut.

It was my thoughts and upon studying others, simply using a Timber Grab on its side where an Excavator can put all sorts odd loading angles on it, was simply asking for trouble.

The ram in the Tiger will obviously give massive holding power but make it slow, hence hopefully getting an Engcon mod that will give me around 100ltr/min through the Engcon which should put some speed in it!

The Kubota will be good for around a tonne even full stretch over the side with that on, you have to remember it's on big pads, plus lengthened/widened which gives it great stability, plus is unreal in lifting power for an 8 tonne model.

In my application it won't be doing more than a couple of hundred kilos.

Hard to get video these days as most clients are getting quite tight about social media etc in general, but when the Liebherr goes on a job of my own I'll get something sorted.

Eddie.

The Exac-One cutter is rated to 10" but it's generally accepted they will do around 14" without issues if you just move it around a little, which is easy with the Engcon. Generally if you put it in, the Exac type will cut it, which obviously is the drawback of the Tiger Shear where you can grip far more than you can possibly cut.

It was my thoughts and upon studying others, simply using a Timber Grab on its side where an Excavator can put all sorts odd loading angles on it, was simply asking for trouble.

The ram in the Tiger will obviously give massive holding power but make it slow, hence hopefully getting an Engcon mod that will give me around 100ltr/min through the Engcon which should put some speed in it!

The Kubota will be good for around a tonne even full stretch over the side with that on, you have to remember it's on big pads, plus lengthened/widened which gives it great stability, plus is unreal in lifting power for an 8 tonne model.

In my application it won't be doing more than a couple of hundred kilos.

Hard to get video these days as most clients are getting quite tight about social media etc in general, but when the Liebherr goes on a job of my own I'll get something sorted.

Eddie.

Good (and timely for me!) insight into your thoughts and potential solutions there Eddie. I'm not blessed with great engineering knowledge so it's useful to hear your thoughts!

Albeit on a considerably smaller scale machine, I'm in the market for a shear in the early new year.

I "thought" I wanted a grab and cut arrangement but after talking to Andrew @ Exac and listening to his logic I'm settled on the shear without a grab. His logic being, unless mounted on a machine of considerable weight, best not to transfer the weight of the cut tree onto the machine (MulitiOne 7.3S in my case)

Appreciate its horses for courses, but since it's not precision or area restricted cutting, I can tolerate the absence of a grab.

Unless I'm missing something you might have experienced??

Good (and timely for me!) insight into your thoughts and potential solutions there Eddie. I'm not blessed with great engineering knowledge so it's useful to hear your thoughts!

Albeit on a considerably smaller scale machine, I'm in the market for a shear in the early new year.

I "thought" I wanted a grab and cut arrangement but after talking to Andrew @ Exac and listening to his logic I'm settled on the shear without a grab. His logic being, unless mounted on a machine of considerable weight, best not to transfer the weight of the cut tree onto the machine (MulitiOne 7.3S in my case)

Appreciate its horses for courses, but since it's not precision or area restricted cutting, I can tolerate the absence of a grab.

Unless I'm missing something you might have experienced??

I'd agree with Andrew in terms of not biting off more than you can chew in terms of passing the loading to the machine on smaller machines, but cut and drop needs a careful operator to keep things safe.

No denying that the Exac type is the business when it comes to cutting, and their units are well built with quality rotators fitted should you require one.

My applications usually mean cut and hold is a must, and having studied pretty much everything out there, nobody is really hitting the spot for machines in the 6 to 10 tonne range, hence my idea to go with this route.

I have friend doing the Hurricane range of shears in Ireland, and he's making inroads now, with some great cutting units and has just done his first one with gripper which looks tidy.

I'll ask if it's ok to post some pictures up.

Eddie.

can you take a pic of the top of the saddle i take it the shiny bit in between the 2 pins is the oil quick system how does it compensate for wear on the pins does the connector float

Yes the shiny bit is the connector block, and that is a single block for a two way circuit plus has no electrics fitted.

Depending on application you can have two blocks and two sets of multiple way electrics in them to give all sorts of solutions for attachments.

A good example is my Mulcher which combines flow, return and case drain, with electrics to control the solenoid valves for the opening doors, all without leaving the cab.

In theory the pins don't wear as nothing ever moves, but you will get a tiny bit and the connectors have enough length to tolerate this.

The connector blocks have a small amount of give via spring mounts, but substantial dowels have to line up in a few places before anything will slide together to connect.

In nearly two years, I've replaced nothing on the EC-Oil Hitch or any of the attachments, with the only issue being the need to keep a light smear of grease on the electrical connectors to ensure a good contact.

Sounds crazy, but the grease doesn't help the contact, it prevents it tracking across to other terminals causing issues.

People always ask about contaminants, but I do nothing special apart from a quick wipe and smear of grease now and again.

On just one project before Xmas I worked out it was over 100 times a day I wasn't getting in/out of the cab to connect or replace pipes/electrics as I switched between Grab, Shear and Winch setup.

Plenty of images on the Engcon site but here is one of the Mulcher.

Eddie.

-4mulch2.jpg.a3b51f999d78332e0bf9274d9b7f242f.jpg