Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Quick question for you digger pro's

I have a large half acre pond to dig out on my own land and it has been suggested I get a 20 ton machine in, now looking at a few specs of machines it seems the 20 will be too wide for the acces road and the gap between the roadside trees,

So looking at machine specs I should be able to get a 14 ton machine in no probs what would productivity be like between the two, would I be better off cutting a couple more trees down to get the 20 in or are the 14 ton modern machines more agile so just as productive in the long run.

Cheers russ

I went to cast an eye over my new Liebherr machine today and he's ready to go apart from another attachment that's on it's way.

It's joining the "Wide Boy" Kubota and should make for a pretty efficient setup.

Loads of details and firsts in terms of setup on it, and really looking forward to putting it to work.:thumbup:

Here's the "Big Feller"

Eddie.

That is just simply amazing!!!!! I have seen a similar setup on the continent but wondered if anybody could utilise such a machine in this country. I take my hat of to you. That is some investment. I had a job that would have suited that machine some time back. Could you send me some contact details please so I can talk rates with you please.

Here is a picture of my little grinder too. It's fitting to this post as it's based on a 5 ton 360. She is running a 200hp lump but the flywheel lets here down so I have just ordered a new revolution HD disk from new river equipment. It's being shipped now and looking forward to seeing the productivity.

image.jpg.37f796257be59078b33abc8902bdaead.jpg

I have a large half acre pond to dig out on my own land and it has been suggested I get a 20 ton machine in, now looking at a few specs of machines it seems the 20 will be too wide for the acces road and the gap between the roadside trees,

So looking at machine specs I should be able to get a 14 ton machine in no probs what would productivity be like between the two, would I be better off cutting a couple more trees down to get the 20 in or are the 14 ton modern machines more agile so just as productive in the long run.

Cheers russ

Have a look around for a 16 tonner if possible, Volvo Ec160, Hitachi Zx160 or 180, Case Cx160 or 180 etc etc as these are the thinking man's machines.

Basically you will get them in where your 14 tonner will go, but they will be almost as capable as a 20 tonner. The reason you don't see more is they cost pretty much every penny of a 20 tonner, because some are pretty much just that very slightly scaled down. However they are very popular with Owner Drivers who have realised you end up with a hugely capable machine constructed of components from a larger weight class that have an easier time of it during its operating life.

Sounds a nice job.

Eddie.

You can still move a lot gear with a 14 t you just will loose a bit of reach have you thought about a 14 t long reach would be ideal for clearing out a pond there's plent of people hiring them out.

I'd agree if you're clearing out an existing pool a long reach can have many benefits, but if it's constructing new you have to remember with a long reach you actually lose a weight class in terms of capacity? Basically a 13 tonne long reach carries 8 tonne buckets, a 20 tonne long reach carries 13 tonne buckets etc etc.

Eddie.

Many Thanks for all the kind words, it's been some project so far and should hopefully be completed and all shaken down over the Xmas period.

The machine is waiting for its other attachment which will be a big grapple saw running under the Engcon Tiltrotator unit, giving something like an 800 cut in one or obviously more if I choose to step cut it and take it with the machine.

The Engcon is fitted with the Ec-Oil system which means I don't get out of the cab to switch between the Shear and Grapple Saw, with the huge benefit of no dangling hoses to get snagged.

For those that missed it, the Shear has a never been done before setup where it actually has two Ec-Oil mounting points, one for max reach/height at the rear and one for standard use on top.

The Shear is good for 450 mm and with double grippers is the safest available on the market.

One little trick is the Shear tilts 70 degrees either way, but if required I can add in the Engcon and control both tilts simultaneously to give 115 degrees of tilt of required.

Max reach is approaching 16 metres and height something like 15 but we haven't had the tape on it yet!

Transport wise its a sensible 3.2 metres, and as I said before will come with rubber block pads if required.

Obviously it will excell at handling duties as well as taking down, with the benefit of the massive lift capacity Materials Handler spec machines have over traditional Long Reach Excavators.

The load chart is very impressive, and it would be capable of putting some serious butts onto transport at a reasonable radius.

Early days, but I have reserched long and hard on this since my eyes were fully opened to the potential of such a setup.

For those wondering if I'm crazy, go back to page one of this thread and you will see its something I've already experienced the benefits of.

Eddie.

Cheers russ

It might be worth giving Land and Water a call , they have loads of kit specifically built for dredging ponds etc. Long Reach Excavators - UK's largest fleet | Land & Water Plant Hire

Have a look at the amphibious range of kit :thumbup1:

Bob

Edited by aspenarb