Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Cheers Eddie, I whole heartedly agree with that just on the basis of the cscs card crap which is the most important thing to have when walking on a site don't matter if you are qualified to do what you came for as long as you've got that.

Might be the root just to tick the buricratic box to save further hassle at site induction time.

Then some sod will argue that because it's fitted with a grab to lift timber I need fmoc as that's not construction.

Cheers Eddie, I whole heartedly agree with that just on the basis of the cscs card crap which is the most important thing to have when walking on a site don't matter if you are qualified to do what you came for as long as you've got that.

Might be the root just to tick the buricratic box to save further hassle at site induction time.

Then some sod will argue that because it's fitted with a grab to lift timber I need fmoc as that's not construction.

CPCS is acceptable as a basic excavator unit on FMOC I think, but most will look at you blank when you even mention FMOC?

Too many schemes out there and not a one anything more than a box ticking money making racket.

Back in the day the Foreman would know by breakfast if you could operate the machine or not!

Eddie.

Its a big ass covering exercise as well as a money making one eg if I as a foreman ask an Unticketed operator to do something dangerous or with an unsafe machine and there is an accident then me my bosses right up to the MD can be charged. ask a ticketed operator to do the same then he "SHOULD" know better as he has been "trained" and the buck stops with there this also applys to sub-contractors. this is the only reason you need a ticket on sites and is no indication to his ability to drive it

Its a big ass covering exercise as well as a money making one eg if I as a foreman ask an Unticketed operator to do something dangerous or with an unsafe machine and there is an accident then me my bosses right up to the MD can be charged. ask a ticketed operator to do the same then he "SHOULD" know better as he has been "trained" and the buck stops with there this also applys to sub-contractors. this is the only reason you need a ticket on sites and is no indication to his ability to drive it

That and the fact some Insurance companies especially in Construction will insist on CPCS Operators, as again this is a very quick way of proving competence?

The only thing they prove in real life is the guy has handed over his cash to the latest version of the money grabbing scheme, before the goalposts are moved and we all go around again at more expense!:thumb down:

I don't know if it's ever been tested, but at what point would the Judge accept you were competent, assuming you could put a couple of bus loads of quality people in the dock to vouch for you?

Eddie.

I am doing my cpcs 10 ton & above at the moment. I had my theory test last Friday and it's a bit of a joke. It's not really testing your knowledge of the machine just if you can remember the correct answers. As for the practical all you have to do is dig a trench & a man hole. £580 for the test is a bit much imo. All in all its cost me (with training)£1800. The national plant card test is half the price & according to my trainer it should be excepted at all sites.😂😂😂

• Like 1

I handed a shed load of cash over for my 360,180 ,loading shovel and HIAB with grab and never once been asked for any and I have worked/delivered on just about every Major construction company out there , I have CPCS and NORPS cards and they mean nothing .

Ste

The only point to them is unfortunately should the worst happen and you are faced with proving competence.

The card will do that immediately, as will any In House tickets also, then things move on to the Trainer having to prove his competence to train you.

I am not against any of the safety aspect and think the Safety refresher should actually be more frequent? What I am against is having the card taken away after 5 years if I don't turn up with a book of lies and then sit and answer questions about machines that have no relevance to my ability to Operate it.

What is required is a much harder skills test that would take a decent Operator 3 to 5 years to work towards. Pass this and you achieve a ticket that actually proves your worth a little more and adds value to the job.

Employers and Clients would know you must be something like to start with, instead of the simple fact it's a complete lottery what skill lies behind that category on a card?

Time the whole lot got tipped upside down in favour of the people paying out and get some of this need to carry a load of different schemes thrown out.

Where the hell did stuff like this Rolo come from and why didn't companies simply get together and say No! There is more than enough out there to prove you've attended your box ticking and we should be removing these made up ones not adding to them.

Eddie.