Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

I bought a magnetic receiver, for mounting on the digger arm, for digging to a specific depth, using a laser level.

Has anyone used one before, and did you like it?

I used one of those some years back in conjunction with a dewalt laser level on an 8 tonner doing grading work around a house and lake. Found it very useful indeed and saved a lot of guess work on actual levels etc.

I bought a magnetic receiver, for mounting on the digger arm, for digging to a specific depth, using a laser level.

Has anyone used one before, and did you like it?

Great bits of kit, and better if they have a vertical sensor on them to help get the arm/bucket in the same position each time for a more accurate check.

Some lads put them on a pole on the grading bucket when levelling to give a consistent grade to work to, and it can be incredibly accurate with a bit of practice.

They do them now with a wireless repeater screen that goes in the cab, and this can be placed more in line of sight to assist accuracy.

Some are now 360 degree receivers too that can grab the laser signal from a much wider range, but obviously if the arm gets in the way it's not going to work.

I think you'll like it.

Eddie.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok lurned digger operators, qualifications....

Going to be using a combination of a 3 ton and hired in 8 ton machine with my new timber grab fitted for a variety of work and occasionally will be doing bucket work for tidy up or gaining access, what should I be looking at doing ticket wise? Any advice appreciate.

Ok lurned digger operators, qualifications....

Going to be using a combination of a 3 ton and hired in 8 ton machine with my new timber grab fitted for a variety of work and occasionally will be doing bucket work for tidy up or gaining access, what should I be looking at doing ticket wise? Any advice appreciate.

Where will you be working? as an owner operator/contractor the tickets will be of little value unless commercial clients want them.

Last item I checked there are two, over 10 ton and below. The larger one will qualify you for both you gain a probationary type qualification then topknot up to full with seat time.

Mix of commercial stuff for highways, council and construction sites, bit of estate forestry stuff and private clients.

Probably worth going for the bigger machine ticket to cover everything then. Had plenty of seat time in machines. But never needed quals but getting more work that suits this set up.

Mix of commercial stuff for highways, council and construction sites, bit of estate forestry stuff and private clients.

Probably worth going for the bigger machine ticket to cover everything then. Had plenty of seat time in machines. But never needed quals but getting more work that suits this set up.

I am loathed to even type it, as I hate the whole stinking system with a passion, but it simply has to be a CPCS, until someone finds a way to break up the money grabbing cartel that provides us with nothing more than a carded workforce not skilled.

Other schemes are available but in my opinion CPCS is instantly recognised everywhere without issue.

Eddie.