Are we all rubbish?

Tom D

Trust me, pricing virtually every job at a day rate is crazy, I know, I did it for years, and while I did I turned over 60-90k a year now I turn 180-260k and am much better off. Ok I have a much bigger setup now and commercial contracts etc, however it was making the leap away from being stuck in the day rate rut that allowed me to expand and win these contracts.

Try pricing 2 hours + hourly rate and see how you get on, unless you try you will never know.

That said, I price differently for different scenarios anyway.

For instance I'd want less per day for two of us just ground cutting and taking nothing away than I would for two of us doing a job that required loads of rigging, loads of chipping and running loads of waste, even if both days were 8 hours.

Would I be right in thinking there is less margin for error pricing your way though Tom. Surely you,ve got to estimate the timescale of the job down to the nearest hour. If you price jobs as either half day or full day your unlikely to underestimate the job by that much time.

That was my point if your charging by the hour how can you accurately quote/price the job?

That said, I price differently for different scenarios anyway.

For instance I'd want less per day for two of us just ground cutting and taking nothing away than I would for two of us doing a job that required loads of rigging, loads of chipping and running loads of waste, even if both days were 8 hours.

Yes me to

not really, You price the job at an easy friday pace, so your 4 hour job can be done in 3 or even 2 if you have to, thats where you make the cash. I have done over 1k with a 2 man squad doing 4 or 5 jobs in one day, no effort and half a load of chip...

I don't win every quote no where near

But how does staying at home and it walking the dogs pay the bills lol?

It doesn't, but it does enrich your life. I did say it wouldn't suit everyone but it works for me. I also spend 2 days a week (Thu/Fri) at home with my little girl because you can't put a price on the value of that!