Are we all rubbish?

Tom D

Whatever way you look at it I'm sure that like for like the trades get more, a PAYE qualified tradesman will get more than the equivalent surge, a self employed labour only tradesman will get more than his equivalent and a self employed tradesman with 1 van and all his own kit will be making way more than the equivalent 1 transit 1 chipper surge, especially when overheads are taken into account.

There are climbers out there who will get 160 a day but many of them will have to provide their own ppe, climbing kit, saws and possibly even rigging kit too.

No but they charge them out at that and supply them with £50 worth of tools that last years.

I hear you there. I know guys who charge 3 hundred pound per man per day. And pay one of the crew 50-75 pound a day. Fair enough sometimes they have more kit, it all about being business savvy.

So what is the going rate for two men truck and chipper ?

I'm south west

If I tried for anymore than £360 a day I would be sat at home

Most I've had a day is £450 as it was a horrible ash

£150 per climber, £60 for chipper

Cheap I know but people just won't pay more,

What can we do?

Whatever way you look at it I'm sure that like for like the trades get more, a PAYE qualified tradesman will get more than the equivalent surge, a self employed labour only tradesman will get more than his equivalent and a self employed tradesman with 1 van and all his own kit will be making way more than the equivalent 1 transit 1 chipper surge, especially when overheads are taken into account.

There are climbers out there who will get 160 a day but many of them will have to provide their own ppe, climbing kit, saws and possibly even rigging kit too.

I think you are looking at this with blinkers on. Take a sparky for example. He will have to run a van, may have three or four different test meters on that van that will cost well over a grand, enough hand tools to cover another grand. So that's 2k worth of kit, this is with out all the cable,fittings. Probably another grands worth of power tools. All this for £120 to £160 a day.

When you look at it this way would you say there was much difference between a sparky and a climber on the same money?

So what is the going rate for two men truck and chipper ?

I'm south west

If I tried for anymore than £360 a day I would be sat at home

Most I've had a day is £450 as it was a horrible ash

£150 per climber, £60 for chipper

Cheap I know but SOME people just won't pay more,

What can we do?

You my friend are who I am talking about, see the correction above, you can't get top dollar every day, but you need to know when to charge more, and how to find the clients who will pay more. Stop thinking about a day rate and start thinking about a weekly or monthly target. You will be much better off.

£1800 a week is a pittance for the kit that you are supplying and the work that you are doing, try and get your head round getting £2500 a week, you won't hit that every week but aiming for it will get you closer, even if it gets you to £2k then thats £200 a week more than you had before, and thats £10k a year!, which will make a big difference to you and your family I bet.

I think you are looking at this with blinkers on. Take a sparky for example. He will have to run a van, may have three or four different test meters on that van that will cost well over a grand, enough hand tools to cover another grand. So that's 2k worth of kit, this is with out all the cable,fittings. Probably another grands worth of power tools. All this for £120 to £160 a day.

When you look at it this way would you say there was much difference between a sparky and a climber on the same money?

He will charge the client for all parts, cable , fittings etc, and he will make 20-30% on all of them if he's any brains. As for his tools, a few grand, compared to the bare minimum setup for a tree gang its nothing, try buying 2 climbing kits, saws and a chipper for £3k.

He will charge the client for all parts, cable , fittings etc, and he will make 20-30% on all of them if he's any brains. As for his tools, a few grand, compared to the bare minimum setup for a tree gang its nothing, try buying 2 climbing kits, saws and a chipper for £3k.

Ye youd be spending more time in the workshop than actually working

You my friend are who I am talking about, see the correction above, you can't get top dollar every day, but you need to know when to charge more, and how to find the clients who will pay more. Stop thinking about a day rate and start thinking about a weekly or monthly target. You will be much better off.

£1800 a week is a pittance for the kit that you are supplying and the work that you are doing, try and get your head round getting £2500 a week, you won't hit that every week but aiming for it will get you closer, even if it gets you to £2k then thats £200 a week more than you had before, and thats £10k a year!, which will make a big difference to you and your family I bet.

Very true however if in subbing I get £120 a day,

If Its "my job"

I bill £150 for myself

£150 for second climber he will get paid £120

And or £130for a groundsman and pay him £80

So really if it's "my" own job I'm on more like £170 - £200

Plus the chipper profit,

I can't see how you can get away with charging more down around here,

Yes it would be nice £200 per man £100 fit chipper but there's no chance I would get £500 a day every day

Josh

You never mentioned a chipper for the climber you quoted.

How much would climbing kit and saws cost to go and do a days work for a climber? Labour only. I bet it's not three to four grand.