Real world heating cost

Dean Lofthouse

I wouldn't say I lived in the middle of nowhere, but it is rural, we seem to get at least 1 power cut a year, for what ever reason, Having cooking and hot water can be a godsend at these times. So I agree that not having all your eggs in one basket is not a bad thing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once idly enquired about getting gas to where I lived and was quoted £3,000 per every 100m from nearest main. As the nearest main was and still is, over 6km away, me and my five neighbours decided against it. Besides, I doubt the NP or the NT would have allowed it.

[

"I am hoping to get down to a 5KW rather than a 16KW burner which would operate over the two coldest months. I plan to have a pellet boiler as primary heating and instant gas for hot water and cooking with solar to boost the hot water whenever the sun shines."

Morso now have a stand alone pellet stove ( about 7kw) but not a pellet boiler, ie it does not heat water. You wont find anything on their web site about it yet but there are in stock in Rugby, I am looking at installing one into my Morso showroom.

A

Morso now have a stand alone pellet stove ( about 7kw) but not a pellet boiler, ie it does not heat water. You wont find anything on their web site about it yet but there are in stock in Rugby, I am looking at installing one into my Morso showroom.

A

Pellets are £260/tonne for me now after years of using up free ones, so now out of the question.

When we imported pellet boilers they were only available for commercial use as they were plumbed into pressurised systems. I know building regs recently changed to accommodate smaller flues for pellet stoves but do they now allow balanced flues and sealed systems for domestic use?

I still have most of a Kunzel 25 and a envirofire 15 which were taken out of premises if anyone wants to experiment.

I found some data online for wood versus heating oil.

Wood 15.8 MJ/kg

Gas-oil 38.3 MJ/litre

This actually ties in well with our real world experience. Since installing a wood stove our heating oil consumption has dropped by 3000l. Our wood consumption is 10 tons (17m3 bagged).

The cost saving on oil is equivalent to the cost of wood when you consider that the house is heated for longer on wood than it used to be on oil.

The natural gas calorific value is 38.0 MJ/cubic metre

i'll ask, as I remember it was a 3ph gen to run the farm that also automatically heated the thermal store for dhw and ufh and charged a battery bank/inverter for the house, with the option to add in both solars, around 40k from a firm in Lincolnshire.

interested in a link for this as well Craig - my neighbour is looking at options at the moment.

regarding quotes for running in services, they tend to start with a high price including all installation of pipes/wires etc. If you do some of the work yourself the price drops right off.

We did the trenching and installation of the cables/pipes and they just arrived to do the connections either end - made a huge difference to the price.

Mind you I have heard that they dont like you doing that anymore, but not sure.