NZ or Canada??

Check out the skilled workers immigration program in Canada. After two generations of pushing kids hard to join the 'knowledge economy', they're starting to clue in that they need people who can actually do stuff, turns out there aren't nearly enough for the demand nowadays.

I don't know much about NZ, but it seems like an awesome place. BUT Canada has everything you could possibly be looking for, and it's not too far from the UK (7.5 hours direct flight London to Toronto), something to consider if you're planning a permanent move. Parts of the country have very robust economies, you won't have any trouble finding work the big cities. But, the cost of living will kill you in places like Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary, even Ottawa. In my opinion, a better lifestyle is to be had in the smaller cities, or Quebec, if you can speak French. Check out Winnipeg, Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City, Hamilton, St. John's, all cool cities where the rent won't eat your paycheque.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was faced with the same decision almost 2 years ago. I was offered a job with davey in canada and asplundh in nz. I went with nz because I had always liked the look of the country and its mild climate, I find working in the cold miserable! I cannot make any comparison as I have never been to canada, however I find nz amazing and after roughly 18 monthes here paying for residency application is far higher on my list then flying back to the hole that is the uk. You certainly won't struggle to find work out here :001_smile: Start wage (in auckland) would most likely be around 17-22 dollars per hour. Trees won't make you rich out here but its a fantastic place that doesnt require much money to enjoy, saying that it is definately a comfortable wage compared with living costs.

I was faced with the same decision almost 2 years ago. I was offered a job with davey in canada and asplundh in nz. I went with nz because I had always liked the look of the country and its mild climate, I find working in the cold miserable! I cannot make any comparison as I have never been to canada, however I find nz amazing and after roughly 18 monthes here paying for residency application is far higher on my list then flying back to the hole that is the uk. You certainly won't struggle to find work out here :001_smile: Start wage (in auckland) would most likely be around 17-22 dollars per hour. Trees won't make you rich out here but its a fantastic place that doesnt require much money to enjoy, saying that it is definately a comfortable wage compared with living costs.

I second will on this. New Zealand is a fantastic place to work and live, I will certainly be following him in his footsteps towards residency! We both work at Asplundh and there is always work - some basic but others very challenging.

P.S text me back Will!!!!!

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Despite only being able to get the 1 year (through BUNAC), I'm pretty firmly set on NZ.

One final question. At 32 years of age, and come February (when I plan on leaving) having 2 years ground experience and 1 year climbing experience, do you know if I'll be in a position to apply to stay in NZ permenantly? The visa guidelines are difficult to follow. I was wondering if anyone has taken the same route?

(I have cs30,31,38,39, stumpy, chipper, business studies for tree surgeons)

Thanks

Mark

• 1 year later...
I was thinking of NZ myself,have NPTC units up to and including 41,electrical arb units ea1,ea2,2a,2b,MEWP ticket,22 years experience,can anyone give me some ideas of job opportunities in NZ,cheers guys

go onto trademe.co.nz and type in arborist jobs

• 1 year later...

Hello guys!

Many thanks for such interesting topic!

I'm facing the same issue with the only difference that, I'd also like to study Arboriculture in one of these countries.

Taking that (exactly like McCarrol) I worked in Australia for two years as Farm Hand and Forestry Operator.

Although some attempts, I had to abandon the idea of study Arboriculture in Australia, as NOT available for International Students.

So now, I'm thinking to get to Canada or NZ to study for a Certificate in

'Urban Arboriculture - Tree Care (CANADA, Toronto)

or

a 'National Certificate in Horticulture (Arboriculture) (Level 4) (NZ, Dunedin).

What I'm wondering is,

Which country of these, do you think is more 'rewarded' in the Arboriculture's world/society?

Which one, do you believe offer better working opportunities?

Any help would be really much appreciated!

Thanks in advance, have a great one!

• 1 month later...
Hello guys!

Many thanks for such interesting topic!

I'm facing the same issue with the only difference that, I'd also like to study Arboriculture in one of these countries.

Taking that (exactly like McCarrol) I worked in Australia for two years as Farm Hand and Forestry Operator.

Although some attempts, I had to abandon the idea of study Arboriculture in Australia, as NOT available for International Students.

So now, I'm thinking to get to Canada or NZ to study for a Certificate in

'Urban Arboriculture - Tree Care (CANADA, Toronto)

or

a 'National Certificate in Horticulture (Arboriculture) (Level 4) (NZ, Dunedin).

What I'm wondering is,

Which country of these, do you think is more 'rewarded' in the Arboriculture's world/society?

Which one, do you believe offer better working opportunities?

Any help would be really much appreciated!

Thanks in advance, have a great one!

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk