pulley system VS prussik system

monkey boy

It takes a while to get to trust the technology but it's a bit like Garlic bread, "It's the future" Mick

I'd trust a lockjack more than rope on rope, I prefer a rope hitch with pulley though thats just because it suits me and my climbing stratergies.

"garlic bread i've tasted it, its the furture" Peter Kay pheonix nights qaulity

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after learning on a blakes and prussic and working with an old school climber for a few years i thought that was it!

then i found this site and i havn't looked back i first tried a vt took a little while but loved the arm over arm movement. Then one of the boys in work swears by the lock jack so i tried that and used it everytime i climbed, took a bit of trust:scared1:

now i have gone back to the vt with an extendable bridge ( a bit like my lockjack setup) which was on another thread and wow i think i will stick with the vt and extending bridge.

what i like with both setups is using spikes and practically running up the pole whilst groundy pulls on the rope:001_tt1:

after learning on a blakes and prussic and working with an old school climber for a few years i thought that was it!

then i found this site and i havn't looked back i first tried a vt took a little while but loved the arm over arm movement. Then one of the boys in work swears by the lock jack so i tried that and used it everytime i climbed, took a bit of trust:scared1:

now i have gone back to the vt with an extendable bridge ( a bit like my lockjack setup) which was on another thread and wow i think i will stick with the vt and extending bridge.

what i like with both setups is using spikes and practically running up the pole whilst groundy pulls on the rope:001_tt1:

This last bit is the best thing about the whole system! Looks the nuts when you get back up a 40 foot pole in seconds!:001_cool:

I climbed prussic and blakes hitches for years (still do on short climbs/other end of my rope). I switched over to a distel then a VT with a hitchclimber a year or so ago. I've got a bad wrist injury and I've been getting a bit of tennis elbow too, using a pulley system with a cambium saver/rope guide has helped me keep on climbing (us old gits need all the help we can get!:001_cool:

tried the vt hitch climber and cant get on with it. the vt is a long knot and making small adjustments in height is more hassle then a blakes. ive also never got the system to self tend. also if i had a fall, id rather have a blakes stop me then a fishemens. putting a pulley on the cambium saver is a better idea. im going to try the metal setup next.

Edited by bill

tried the vt hitch climber and cant get on with it. the vt is a long knot and making small adjustments in height is more hassle then a blakes.

There is a little "sit-back" with the vt, however I find that the smaller adjustments are only a small proportion of the moves made so tollerable when familiar. I prefer it because of the fluid tending and ease of ascent.

also if i had a fall, id rather have a blakes stop me then a fishemens.

I take it you mean VT not fishermans? Either knot will perform equally in a fall when set and dressed, but a badly set vt, that does not grab reliably could create an issue.

I have a concern about the hand over hand method. I've seen climbers advance themselves up the tree in this way using a VT and a pulley and unless I'm mistaken if you go up a bit and have to let go (for want of an example because you get a load of wasps attacking you), then you are going to free fall at least the distance of the slack. If the VT doesn't grab you've had it.

thats why the maximum amount of slack allowed in the line is 50cm.:001_smile:

used a prussik for the first time in about 2 years on wednesday-because i couldnt be bothered to put bu HC on my shortline for a row of small lime re-pollards

it was horrible!

so much effort climbing even the shortest distance compared to a HC

prussik kept slipping-couldnt trust it to hold me nice and firm like the HC does

doesnt decend as smoothly

had to let go of the saw to pull the slack through-found it fustrating!

also with the HC or a VT the tail of the rope is out of the way-right down by the harness. but with the prussik the tail of the line is 40-50cm away from you, sticking out making more clutter, and getting in the way

perservered with one tree then promptly got the HC back on!

Ahhh much better