pulley system VS prussik system

monkey boy

Every one should be using a vt and pulley(or lock jack), prussiks are a waste of energy and time !!

Matty, lets set up a workshop for these dinosaurs and make our fortunes!

Apart from Mick Stockbridge. On that bike I reckon he could get to Ashford and chin me in about 25 minutes....:001_cool:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a well thought out, unbiased, detailed and accomplished conveyance of information there...Thanks for sharing :001_tongue:

Unfortunately I haven't yet met anyone who uses the vt, of all the arbs I have encountered, they all use a basic system, be it blakes or prussik. Some of them are outstanding climbers, hell some of them even run their own business with teams of climbers underneath them all using prussiks etc...You need to get out there matty and spread the word a bit more.:001_cool:

Yeah sorry was a bit of a stupid reply...any way here is why imo!

It is better erganomicly(sorry cant spell) for the body climbing arm over arm other than just locking your weight off on one main arm when you use your prussiks,its calmed my tennis elbow right down and might of evan prevented it if i switched sooner.

Vt's dont lock up whilst on the end of a limb or awkward position like prussiks.

Once acending is grasped its faster,limb walkings faster why do you think no one is using prussiks in comps??

I climbed on a prussik for ten years could never see the point in all this fannying around with different systems that look a pain in the rear to evan set up let alone use,if it aint broke why fix it ??? wrong i would never go back to a prussik or blakes, if your an out standing climber on a blakes or prussik grasp the vt and you will be a cut above the rest...simple!

Amen, hallelujah i have execerissed the demons prussiks be gone!

I don't have any problem limb walking on a prussik but I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch of the imagination...ascending is ok, if I have a long pull then I will either put a long prussik on with a pulley underneath set from the leading line so I can hand over hand, or use a pantin-esque attachment, but neither of those are anywhere near perfect either...but they work.

When you are on a pull up the tree and doing your hand over hand thang..does the rope feed itself through the hitch or do you ned to stop and tend it yourself..?

thanks btw.:001_cool:

What a well thought out, unbiased, detailed and accomplished conveyance of information there...Thanks for sharing :001_tongue:

Unfortunately I haven't yet met anyone who uses the vt, of all the arbs I have encountered, they all use a basic system, be it blakes or prussik. Some of them are outstanding climbers, hell some of them even run their own business with teams of climbers underneath them all using prussiks etc...You need to get out there matty and spread the word a bit more.:001_cool:

Andy, this is the idea of "getogethers", I used to be a dinasor too, I arranged a getogether and learnt more in that one day than I would have done in years.

I know exactly what Matty is trying to say so elequently. I used VT for a while but found there was too much going on with pulleys and crabs so went onto lockjack and art positioner

Wow, what a lot less effort they are, if you haven't looked into it I highly recommend doing so or go to the next getogether and have a go on a lockjack.

I still use prussic on my short strop

Andy, this is the idea of "getogethers", I used to be a dinasor too, I arranged a getogether and learnt more in that one day than I would have done in years.

I know exactly what Matty is trying to say so elequently. I used VT for a while but found there was too much going on with pulleys and crabs so went onto lockjack and art positioner

Wow, what a lot less effort they are, if you haven't looked into it I highly recommend doing so or go to the next getogether and have a go on a lockjack.

I still use prussic on my short strop

Would like to see it, try it...

In fact I did see someone being shown it at the apf, but he was really struggling to ascend and getting the hitch to bite...so I didn't hang around very long.

I wonder if Mister Hancock uses the vt, maybe he could show me the ropes...(see what I did there)

Would like to see it, try it...

In fact I did see someone being shown it at the apf, but he was really struggling to ascend and getting the hitch to bite...so I didn't hang around very long.

I wonder if Mister Hancock uses the vt, maybe he could show me the ropes...(see what I did there)

They take a bit of getting used to and some people just cant get on with them, it took me months to get on with the Lockjack, infact it sat in my climbing bag for 12 months inbetween, but now I have got to trust it, I think it's brilliant.

People moan about cams wearing out, but I dont descend long distances on it, I stick my figure of eight on and let that take the wear, so haven't changed a cam on it yet and I've used it two years

SBTC yes you have to stop to tend the slack (unless you use a bridge extention which will move the hitch up for you) the important point though is whilst you holding your self to tend the hitch your doing it in a more ergonomic way by having your arm locked straight.

I go out of my way to not body thrust up the tree or at least make pulling myself up easier,a self advancing hitch opens up more oppertunities. For example if i'm in a broad tree and i have to work my way down one side starting from the top i'll install a pulley or revolver by my friction saver put the tail of rope through that, then make sure my tail follows me as i work my way down, then when i need to go back up to redirect myself to work the other side of the tree i have a 3-1 pulley system to pull myself back up which also tends the hitch for me. I'll go up with a mixture of hauling myself and climbing the tree whenever possible its all made easier by the fact i can hold my position in the tree with one hand then use my free hand to advance the hitch. All things that are not easy to do with a prussik and is just a small example of how using a self advancing hitch opens up more opertunities.

I don't have any problem limb walking on a prussik but I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch of the imagination...ascending is ok, if I have a long pull then I will either put a long prussik on with a pulley underneath set from the leading line so I can hand over hand, or use a pantin-esque attachment, but neither of those are anywhere near perfect either...but they work.

When you are on a pull up the tree and doing your hand over hand thang..does the rope feed itself through the hitch or do you ned to stop and tend it yourself..?

thanks btw.:001_cool:

Well you will have to take say 3-4 pulls then lock your wieght off like on a prussik then pull the slack through,usually at around say 25ft depending on how its set up it will tend its own slack as long as the weight of the rope is free to pull it through...

I wish i had persavered a bit with the lock jack ,it self tended quicker and as dean said you dont have to play around to get it right,it just is!

I just dont like cams on my main line,i think i will probably get a spider jack as capel though to try and get over my fear of mechanical asenders....

the important point though is whilst you holding your self to tend the hitch your doing it in a more ergonomic way by having your arm locked straight.

now that makes sense...

thanks for all replys, much better explained than anything I have read so far..:001_smile: