grave digging- anyone do it?

Matthew Storrs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most are covered by local councils who have dedicated teams , I did a few when I worked at the council and were short of tree work . It's bloody hard work and it's amazing how the ground can differ in a few miles from heavy clay to sand . They can be done by hand or diggers , we started getting some of the big American caskets through - at least 8ft

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

just back from Ireland after help dig and fill sister-in-laws grave also helped with father in laws back in January

20 odd years ago when working up a remote glen was asked to dig grave for old spinster who died - overseen by her 85 brother who complete with flat cap held down with baler twine and pipe going strong to keep the midges at bay we uncovered a scull after much head scratching by the brother and heel/toe measuring from a rowan tree he announced "aye that will be auntie mary right enough I forgot all about her" didnt know to laugh or cry

inverness council have a mini digger with a blade at each end to save spraging round when digging graves on hilly cemetrys

now the weathers turned and its wet job up at cemetery is to go and fill in sunken graves. first time i went up with mower going along minding my own when mower stopped back wheel sunk down into grave had to pull it out. soon found out and stayed clear hence back filling. thats going to be a shovel and barrow job

I was a grave digger for many years all by hand when I was doing it , new graves , re opens ( gone through the box a few times ) exhuming is the nastiest of them all I've done 2 in 8 years and its something I never ever wish to do again ... Saddest of them all for me was always baby's or young children ..if you was going to get into the profession go and speak to your local under takers they know all the vicars in the old churches etc , good luck .