monolith work

sanny

good on you mate there seems to be mixed opinions on this type of work.

but tbh why not what harm is it doing none as long as ther is a good monitoring system in place all is good :001_smile:

We were working at a nursing home for the elderly today . The residents took me to an old decaying oak tree just off site and told me of the visiting woodpecker . Never got to see it . Really up for some Coronet cutting now .:001_smile:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you left a tree like that near my house, I'd go back later and fell it haha. Only joking, work like that is very very rare if not completly non existent round our end. I'm in talks at the moment with the estate I climb for about introducing Coronets.

If you left a tree like that near my house, I'd go back later and fell it haha. Only joking, work like that is very very rare if not completly non existent round our end. I'm in talks at the moment with the estate I climb for about introducing Coronets.

iv'e been in this game for a year now and i have done about 6 monoliths just been lucky i guess. i really like doing this type of work it breaks up from norm of tree surgery work that we carry out.:001_smile:

iv'e been in this game for a year now and i have done about 6 monoliths just been lucky i guess. i really like doing this type of work it breaks up from norm of tree surgery work that we carry out.:001_smile:

Coro's, Fractures & Monoliths make up approximately 15 - 20% of our work program.

For us it is an ever developing dicipline that we are constantly trying to make safer and much more aesthetic.

I now feel that fractures, finnished off with a small ammount of corronetting as opposed to a flushed reduced branch that's heavily coro'd, is preferable and easier on the eye.

Delivering something more akin to natural or storm damaged trunk/branch failure.

P9010032.JPG.8e9b2f2d1f1ce6116b256b190dce6123.JPG

P7160009.jpg.c6aac5dd597eb16c02d07dcff0ccebed.jpg

P6190002.JPG.6681416640ec0641037d90319508ef5a.JPG

P6100040.JPG.c773b7c86b901e9fc659f5cd602e1e67.JPG

P6100034.JPG.f810cc2e313bdcf42a3640c1eb440944.JPG

P6100008.jpg.806180a25fbf70faed1f25a236c5e216.jpg

I heard that many years after coronet cuts had been carried out, when the trees were surveyed, there were very few organisms found. This was thought to be as a result of the fumes and oil from the heavy chainsaw use needed to carry these out.

Has anyone heard/read anymore on this?

I heard that many years after coronet cuts had been carried out, when the trees were surveyed, there were very few organisms found. This was thought to be as a result of the fumes and oil from the heavy chainsaw use needed to carry these out.

Has anyone heard/read anymore on this?

Have also heard this Hannah, although not seen anything published.

Would like to think there's more to it as a theory than just the doubters way of discrediting this 'futile & pointless' practice.

Anecdotally I've seen lichen, fungi and beetle grubs in between the various cuts, splinters and fractures.

I'll trawl my photo's and see if I can post something.

Intend to spend sometime this year revisiting sites of fracture prunning, coronetting and habitation holes to try and record deterioration of wood and any associated wildlife.

The observation of species selection and deterioration of Monoliths is already ongoing.