How do you use your chain brake?

Joe Newton

Lucky you tree quip, I find trimming tedious.

It goes on if my saw is running on my harness or if I'm walking over tough ground, but I normally don't give it much thought. On my basic course, 30+31 each trainee had at least one chain band burn out and replaced.

Since then I've never had to replace one.

TBH, I don't use the brake as often as I should.

I found an old video of me climbing from 15 or so years ago, I was amazed at how good I was at putting the brake on and I did no holding and cutting, it was all step cuts, put saw down and break it off.

I've clearly picked up many bad habits over the years:blushing:

I'd be interested to see who here uses the chain brake on their saws and how and when they use it.

NPTC taught me to apply the brake (even at full revs) every time I moved, finished cutting, took a hand off my saw, farted etc.

Since then I rarely use it (bad habit, I know) unless the chain is running on.

Please tell us how you use it, and also what scenario: climbing, logging, snedding, felling etc

Cheers, Joe

Not being funny, but why would you be moving with the saw at full revs??

Brake on when not needing the brake within the next few seconds. Makes me wince when I see it smacked on at full revs. Doesn't sound good at all. I do tell people not to when I see it.

It surprises me when people can't learn to feather the throttle ie end of a cross cut near the floor. Go gentle so if you catch the floor you hit one or two cutters and don't cut through the flags.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I rarely use hedge trimmers but recently I had cause to and was amazed how many times I went for the clearly non existent chain brake so my answer is most of the time.

good test to find out, i have done this so many times, its that front handle on the stihl that does it.

Lucky you tree quip, I find trimming tedious.

It goes on if my saw is running on my harness or if I'm walking over tough ground, but I normally don't give it much thought. On my basic course, 30+31 each trainee had at least one chain band burn out and replaced.

Since then I've never had to replace one.

i have seen this happen alot, but moslty on top handles. due to doing a cut and getting the saw down and away before it has dropped in revs, suppose it cant be helped if concentrating on the big lump you are about to drop.

Not being funny, but why would you be moving with the saw at full revs??

think he means applying it at full revs rather than waiting for it to calm down.

lets face it the brake is there for the operators safety, its there to prevent injury not to be a neusance.

applying it at full revs should be on start up and test only, do it too often and it will break, its a safety feature to be able to apply at full revs and stop that chain quick, you wouldnt slam your car brakes on at 70 eevry time just because you can. so why do it to a saw.

if it works then use it, dont abuse it.

oh and i use it everytime i stop cutting. unless snedding up with saw on opposite side of timber. it doesnt take much to wait a secone for a saw to drop to apply it.

I try to let the revs drop before applying the brake.

Snedding is an area for debate. If you are keeping both feet fixed and just 'swinging' the saw it would drive you nuts to put the brake on after every cut - however if you are lifting the saw over the stem TOWARDS your side, even if you don't move your feet, then I'd like to think I would put the brake on.

I know I'm a bit of a clumsy git and I probably trip over in the brash at least twice a day. Don't think I dare move without the brake on.

If I see any of my guys moving without the brake on I scream at them.

I try to let the revs drop before applying the brake.

Snedding is an area for debate. If you are keeping both feet fixed and just 'swinging' the saw it would drive you nuts to put the brake on after every cut - however if you are lifting the saw over the stem TOWARDS your side, even if you don't move your feet, then I'd like to think I would put the brake on.

I know I'm a bit of a clumsy git and I probably trip over in the brash at least twice a day. Don't think I dare move without the brake on.

If I see any of my guys moving without the brake on I scream at them.

That does sound like excessive use of the brake Shane, but if that suits you then who is to argue.