Does anyone use log holders?

Ryan

Up until a few ago I used a conventional X shape saw horse which was generally fine and my wife was usually about to hold the ends of the logs when they were getting short and unable to support themselves. My wife then was pregnant with our first boy and soon became unable to help so I had to find another way.

At first I used the log splitter to clamp long lengths which I could cut right down to the last log without them falling off but it meant having the tractor ticking over for long periods which i didnt like.

After a lot of thinking and trial and error I came up with the following design. I eventually got one to work the way I wanted and it made life very easy. Soon a neighbour saw it and demanded I make him one then another and another. It proved very successful and now the wife is no longer required for firewood production.

I once made a video of it in operation to show a couple of folks how it worked which I uploaded to youtube. Ill try upload the video and some photos incase someone might be able to use the idea for themselves or inspire another design. I did make close to 100 of them over the past couple of years but just don't have the time now and have real trouble getting steel box section of the exact required dimensions. I still make the occasional one. Hope this post might be of interest.

WP_20131013_003_zps9a4bb36b.jpg

WP_20131013_004_zps5d1cafc1.jpg

WP_20131013_008_zps90907205.jpg

IMG_1441_zps1184a20d.jpg

IMG_1437_zpsf127d695.jpg

Please ignore lack of ppe. I do wear a little now and learned to keep a sharp saw!:001_tt2:

I'm surprised that design's not been more popular. There's been a few people making small batches (there was a guy several years ago doing a really heavy duty one) but no one has kept going with them.

The heavy duty one though had a stop built in so there was no way it could clamp your hand in the teeth - it was a proper vicious looking thing, seem to think it was branded as something like LogDog

I reckon it would take some beating for being simple and easy to use.

Don't think it would take much to make it so a barrow could be put underneath or maybe even some sort of deflector so the barrow would fill even if the piece of wood was longer than th barrow was.

I use a digger and grapple to saw oversized logs that I can't fit through the processor. These logs are around a foot to two feet wider than the one you have shown clamped.

Good thing about using a digger is it grabs them, runs them over to where you want to be and then holds them at a comfortable height while you saw them. Its a lazy bastards best friend, just need to teach it to do the sawing as well and then I'm all sorted.