Just had a car accident and oil all over my kit!

Jevs21

One tip from me is to use a netting bag to place kit in before it goes in a machine. Clear all the soap out by putting it through a quick wash empty. Use a rope wash or a mild non detergent wash...

Found this on the web

As always read themanufacturers guidelines for washing ropes. Alternatively you could try oneof the following methods but please don't blame me if it does not work and orthe rope becomes damaged! This is something I have been putting together for myweb site. The following is suitable for ropes used for PPE and lifting andlowering of a kermantel construction.

1) Machine wash;

a. Chain link (drummer boy) the rope to stop itgetting tangled or,

b. Chain link the rope and put in a cotton bag orpillow case to protect the rope.

c. Put the rope into a washing machine and put iton a short cold wash with or without a proprietary rope washing product or a mildsoap based washing powder depending on the contamination. Detergent is notrecommended. Some people recommend a top loading machine but I have had goodresults with a front loader.

d. On completion of the wash cycle remove the ropefrom the washing machine, unlink and hang in loose hanks in a cool dry roomwith a dehumidifier on. Outdoor drying is possible but keep the rope out of directsunlight, heat and wind to avoid drying out too rapidly. It may take a day orso for the rope to dry out, fast drying may cause the rope to go stiff and hardto handle so avoid heat sources. Also it may not function correctly with a ropegrab if flexibility is lost.

e. Once dry the rope should be subjected to adocumented thorough inspection by a competent person before being returned intoservice. The washing should also be logged on the equipment thorough inspectionschedule sheet.

2) Hand washing bath method;

a. Uncoil the rope and place in a bath of coldwater.

b. Wash the rope with a proprietary rope washingproduct or a mild soap based washing powder depending on the contamination.Detergent is not recommended. A rope washing brush can be used if you have one.

c. Empty the bath and fill with cold water. Rinsethe rope and repeat until the water runs clear.

d. Dry as per machine washing.

e. Once dry the rope should be subjected to adocumented thorough inspection by a competent person before being returned intoservice. The washing should also be logged on the equipment thorough inspectionschedule sheet.

3) Hand washing brush method; for this method youneed to buy or make a rope washing gadget. These come in two types, one is justa circular brush that fits over the rope and the other is a brush connected toa hose pipe to wash the rope with. Petzl and Black Diamond manufacture thebasic brush type and if you want to make a hose pipe version there are lots ofdesigns on the web.

4) River washing; depending on your location it ispossible to wash ropes in a river. Obviously this is not a method themanufactures would recommend but I have used this method myself with muchsuccess. You need to use your common sense as to the suitability of this methodas it is possible to damage or lose you ropes if you are unlucky. This methodis only suitable if the rope is soiled with natural contaminants like mud. Youneed legal access to a nice wide shallow fresh water river that is not too deepor fast flowing. This method is particularly suitable for floating ropes usedfor swift water rescue.

a. Tie the rope to a suitable anchor point in themiddle of the river allowing the length of the rope to trail downstream in thecurrent and leave overnight.

b. Remove the next day and proceed as per thedrying and inspection as above.

DO NOT 'S

1) Do not use a pressure washer as this can forcethe dirt/grit into the core of the rope causing internal damage that is verydifficult to detect.

2) Do not use hot water to wash the rope.

3) Do not use detergent or bleach when washing.

4) Do not use a heat source to dry the rope.

5) Do not wash your rope if it doesn't need it.

6) Do not wash more than one rope at a time in amachine wash.

7) Do not wash your rope too many times. The amountof washing a rope can take is limited to the amount of use, type of use, environment it is used in, themake, type, age and washing method. Most ropes can be washed two or three timesbut each time the rope is washed the lifetime of the rope is reduced andhandling properties deteriorate.

Do's

Respectyour rope; it is a crucial piece of equipment that you or someone else's life maydepend upon.

I hope this is some help

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Like 1

Of course, it you want them REALLY clean, stick them in the washer with a couple of loose maillons (I found this out by accident - its a bit like 'stone washed', but quite noisy).

On a more useful note, as others have said, a 40 degree wash and a little detergent should not do them any harm (don't tumble dry though - this may end in death, divorce or both).

Thanks for all the great feed back, will give it a try! Just a little peed as had a lovely job lined up, all existences paid, the works! I didn't think the damage was that bad but it was hard enough to crack the tow bar ball joint! So no car, can't tow with the lovely little Nisan micro I was offered as a hire car ( somehow they didn't quite get the like for like bit right) and 25 liters of chain oil and 5 liters of 2 stroke to clean of my kit ya!!! Dose this post sound like I'm venting? Well maybe just a bit!

Thanks for all the great feed back, will give it a try! Just a little peed as had a lovely job lined up, all existences paid, the works! I didn't think the damage was that bad but it was hard enough to crack the tow bar ball joint! So no car, can't tow with the lovely little Nisan micro I was offered as a hire car ( somehow they didn't quite get the like for like bit right) and 25 liters of chain oil and 5 liters of 2 stroke to clean of my kit ya!!! Dose this post sound like I'm venting? Well maybe just a bit!

You didn't say that you had got 2 stroke on your gear. That's a different matter and you should claim for replacement. Get your insurance company to chase up a more suitable replacement vehicle. You should also push for loss of earnings if you can't do work that you had booked in. Oh, and get ready for a barrage of calls from the ambulance chasers. :001_smile:

• 10 years later...

Bump. Got bar oil on the working end today, it's in the machine at 40, daisy chained in a mesh bag. I'll use the other end for a bit anyway, it was about due for swapping.

Anyone got any amusing rope washing anecdotes?

Edit: oh shit, should I have taken the zigzag off first? 

Edited by peds