Swedish Winter Climbing

teresa green

Hi all, looking for some good advice from lads who have worked through a Swedish winter. What kit is essential to wear over there to stand up to the cold and be able to climb in? Do you need a good pair of alpine boots rather than chainsaw protection? What climbing systems work best in such cold conditions?

Any advice would be grateful

cheers

Layer up

Something round you're neck you can pull over your mouth, buff, balaclava , desert scarf ect

Normal saw boots, waterproof.

Waterproof jacket

Overtrousers

Thermals for -10 and lower

I like thinner layers

Normal climbing kit, some ropes are better frozen than others

Layer up

Something round you're neck you can pull over your mouth, buff, balaclava , desert scarf ect

Normal saw boots, waterproof.

Waterproof jacket

Overtrousers

Thermals for -10 and lower

I like thinner layers

Normal climbing kit, some ropes are better frozen than others

Just on the balaclava thingy; if you check out motor bike shops they sell a balaclava type thingy that stretches down over your chest. A mate of mine used his for winter work and swore by it.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

My hands get dressed as soon as I leave the truck with Teet and Udder balm I think it is primarily lanolin with some antiseptic, it creates a really good barrier against moisture and cold. Then a really thin poly glove liner and rubber palm gloves or if it is really cold you will have to go to leather.

Wool cap for the head or poly toque to cover the ears and back of the head.

Scarf as well, the kind that pull over like a leg warmer so less risk of knottting/choking or snagging.

Thin wool dress sock with a pair of work wool socks over that.

Usually will wear three layers of poly longsleeve shirts and a sweater and depending if its really cold or windy will throw on a hooded shell or another sweater with wind breaker.

The important thing is to be able to quickly moderate your temp through the work so you do not over heat and then cold.

Having a jacket that can be removed easily and packed.

Long john for the legs only come out when temps get below 15 to 20

I love the winter and cold but if my feet and head are wet and cold it is no fun.