8 pin sprocket how many drive links?

Hi new to the forum.

Got an old 064 that needs a bar and chain its wearing a 8 pin rim sprocket, want to get a 20" bar for it. Was going to go for a Oregon powermatch and stihl chain 3/8 1.6 etc will a 72 drive link fit the 8 pin? the oregon calculator on the US site says yes but thought someone might be able to help.

Thanks

I have tried the calculator's but they don't have different sprocket options they all seem to be set to 7 pin standard (safe chain speed etc). I rang someone to check and they said take it to your local dealer, don't want to be rude but my local dealer guys are a bit slow in my experience and I will probably spend more in fuel going somewhere I can get some sense than ordering online, and they charge full RRP.

The old manual for the 064 I found only lists an 8 pin sprocket I think the 7 pin might have been intended as a special high torque gearing.

72DL will work fine on 3/8. That 064 should also be able to run 404 fine on a 20 as well. 7 pin for 3/8 is for longer bars. An 064 is basically a stroked 046, so has a lot of torque by comparison.

Thanks for the info I was pretty sure but wanted to get atleast one other person say it was ok. Its ordered now.

I was looking into the 404 because a lot of the american sites seem to say that 404 cuts faster but I think thats because the depth gauges are run lower so each tooth bites deeper but it does require the extra torque to run. I might be using this for a bit of firewood/biomass cutting and the wider the kerf the more log you loose in dust by the end of the day.

Thanks for the info I was pretty sure but wanted to get atleast one other person say it was ok. Its ordered now.

I was looking into the 404 because a lot of the american sites seem to say that 404 cuts faster but I think thats because the depth gauges are run lower so each tooth bites deeper but it does require the extra torque to run. I might be using this for a bit of firewood/biomass cutting and the wider the kerf the more log you loose in dust by the end of the day.

It cuts faster overall because you spend less time sharpening it. Not because it is faster in the cut. 404 lasts about 20% or more longer. Semi chisel seems to last forever in clean wood. In dirty wood, it lasts even longer than 3/8 than 20% if you ask me. And then you sharpen it, it is easier to sharpen for it's size, and you usually have less cutter to sharpen for a given bar length.

Thanks I think thats what the guys in the US where on about just not explaining it as clearly.

I can totally understand the benefit of upping production as time is money and time sharpening is not time earning and there can be a lot of sharpening with dragged out beech. Will seriously consider trying it out if I get some proper forestry production work.

I have heard fairly good things about the carbide chains in very dirty conditions

Thanks

I have heard fairly good things about the carbide chains in very dirty conditions

My experiences with carbide chain are save your money - it always feels dull and ok it lasts longer in dirtier conditions but not that much longer, a pain to sharpen and most importantly you hit a stone or metal hard you can knock the brittle carbide tips off = very expensive chain written off!

I spent £600 on different carbide chains for different applications - a large waste of money!:sneaky2: I wrote most of them off hitting something.