Stacked V loose logs conversion rate.

Woodworks

I can't move or tip 1m3 vented bags off the trailer by myself, have to part empty first

Thats very odd. I manage to pull them from over the wheels to the back & then tip out the back quite easily.

I dont try to lift the bottom using the tipping handle to tip them. I pull the two corners that are furthest away from the back of the trailer whilst standing on the trailers edge & then lean back using my weight (85kg) as well as my pulling strength.

I sell soft & hard wood (but not mixed) but only fully seasoned (I cut & split then season before delivery) so quite light compared to fresh cut wood.

Rowan I don't think cutting the sides out of IBCs is a goer as they are not exactly over built. Also converting a 100 IBC sounds like a lot more work than a one off contraption and as you know I do like my contraptions :biggrin:

Yeah had a look at a few close ups in pictures, I see what you mean, cutting out a side would seriously jeopardise the structure alright. I'm sure you'll come up with something anyways mate. In terms of a manual swivel, the only image i was getting in my head was that of an old winget cement mixer mechanism for the drum? Anyways looking forward to seeing how you deal with the problem.

• 1 year later...
looking at IBC crates to put wood into the kiln...how do you then tip them back out?? just tie the top to telehandler?

Here is how I tip the crates of smaller logs. It's not very slick but does work http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/64594-low-tech-ibc-tipper.html

Still handball out the crates of larger logs as it does not take long and can separate out any processor waste.

so another thing to consider we measure using the cubic vented nets we shake the bags three times upon filling and then fil to level only as we have found bags do give and sag after repeated use and shaken bags give a more consistant measure of a true cube of logs

dont think this debate will ever resolve itself:confused:

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

I sell exactly that, ie a bounced expanded 1 cube bag as 1.2 cube. I level fill, bounce then add another 50 logs which is about .2 cube to again level fill.

A

i use 240 litre wheelie bins 4 makes 9.6 of a m3 ,i dont stack them ,i give a bag of kindling with every cube to make it up and i sell them a storage box with 4 ply sides and a pallet as a floor for £20.00 they can use it upright in doors or side ways out side its cheaper than a log store i have 200 available i also stack free on delivery for a coffee of course or ill just tip on the next order lol,most of us loose fill are cubes , we are a lot cheaper than these crates of kiln dry that get imported ,and all our timber is sourced from u.k. woodlands ,Barn dry firewood is as good if not better than kiln dry ,like most of us i was selling firewood in volume a long time before there was kiln dry firewood on the market .if you stack that crate charge more woodworks .its hard work .

Edited by kindlett
spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Since I have been attempting to figure what my tightly strapped 0.5m3 billet bundles are worth, based on other firewood offered for sale locally, but always sold loose, I found what should be an impartial source, the UN no less!

see link;

http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4441e.pdf

Which interestingly, for Woodworks, states that 1.0m3(in 1m lengths, though) stacked will make 1.4m3 loose.

cheers

Marcus

• Like 2