Stacked V loose logs conversion rate.

Woodworks

This has been discussed at length on here often by me :blushing:

I have finally done a done my own test so here it is.

IBC crate measured internal volume 95cm x 115cm x 104cm = 1.1362 m3 filled with loose logs. I have stacked the logs into another crate and volume of the stacked logs is 0.7954m3 so I make the conversion ratio 1.4285. Only variable is the loose logs have settled as been in the crate many months.

DSC01552.jpg.39acdb9d1437a907ad2790a5b077cabc.jpg

DSC01551.jpg.9cdf704702b8a74804e0503176cc9816.jpg

DSC01550.jpg.ca897ecde3654d7745ecfcc9e3bacd0f.jpg

Looks like that chicken wire made quite a difference to what would go in originally Beau or was part of the test to prevent anything sticking out of the sides?

If so the wire worked but only by creating spaces within the cage.

But it's all academic; I just show them the pickup and say 'that's a load'!

Jon

I have wired lots of the crates as it stops the smaller logs falling out. The wire is not very tight so does bulge out to inside of crates so should not mess up the test. I sell by the loose cube and this is all sorted but I had a job the other day where I was converting someones standing wood to stacked logs in their shed but had foolishly priced by the loose cube so needed an accurate conversion rate.

so another thing to consider we measure using the cubic vented nets we shake the bags three times upon filling and then fil to level only as we have found bags do give and sag after repeated use and shaken bags give a more consistant measure of a true cube of logs

dont think this debate will ever resolve itself:confused:

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

My tipper body is exactly 2 cu metres. We use 1.5 cubic metre strip vent bags. One of them nearly fills the truck. Verdict they stretch especially after a few uses.

That they do, I recon mine are stretching 300mm each side in the middle, so average 150mm per side, that makes a bag about 1.2 cube !!. Some of my bags have done 10+ cycles.

A

So in the long run, IBC crates are the way forward in comparison to the m3 vent bags.

Sure the initial outlay per IBC crate vs bag is greater, but if one is giving away extra timber in stretched vent bags this should pay for itself in one or two deliveries. Plus the IBC crate will get you more lifespan use then the average vent bag, and will not need to be replaced as frequently.