SRT And DRT Project

Brocky-6

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I've been solely climbing SRT for over 3 years now, prior to that I was SRT accessing and DdRT working for a year or so.

I can't ever see a reason to go back to DdRT. The only benefit that I can see to DdRT is the 2:1 mechanical advantage, which is negated if you climb SRT properly. There's no reason to limb walk and haul yourself back in, just work vertically. Your body will thank you for it!

I've been solely climbing SRT for over 3 years now, prior to that I was SRT accessing and DdRT working for a year or so.

I can't ever see a reason to go back to DdRT. The only benefit that I can see to DdRT is the 2:1 mechanical advantage, which is negated if you climb SRT properly. There's no reason to limb walk and haul yourself back in, just work vertically. Your body will thank you for it!

Out of intrest how old are you Dan? Be infesting to see the age demographic of the srt work position converts.

I really got to get back on it myself.

Out of intrest how old are you Dan? Be infesting to see the age demographic of the srt work position converts.

I really got to get back on it myself.

25, been climbing since I was 18. If you look about on the various Facebook groups there's a huge range of ages running SRT setups.

I think the amount of people who are changing over is more related to the sharing of information through sites like this, than an age based factor. For the most part, the guys who aren't geeks that spend their spare time looking up new ideas are the ones who aren't aware of SRT.

I'm still amazed the amount of people I meet who aren't aware that tree climbing has advanced beyond the prussik. Presumably this is due to limited information sharing?

I've dabbled with SRT but I'm sticking to DRT here for pretty much everything. Less gear required, and one consideration is that people I work with are familiar with my climbing setup for rescue purposes. Its hard enough getting people to convert to hitch climbers and pulleysavers over here, let alone SRT!

I'm still amazed the amount of people I meet who aren't aware that tree climbing has advanced beyond the prussik. Presumably this is due to limited information sharing?

I often find that people are simply too stubborn to try something new. If it doesn't make life easier straight away, they aren't willing to try it any more. familiarity with a system is a commonly used excuse, 'weight of gadgets' was another one I heard recently. Its a shame, because there are great climbers who have so much more untapped potential if they just modernised a little!

That, or the fact that to some people climbing is just a job. Not a passion. Those with a passion for climbing seek the most efficient and fun way or getting themselves around the canopy. For some others a Prussik is a tool. It works, so they don't see the need to change.

Me, I enjoy DDRT, and whilst I'd like to try SRTWP I can't afford the shinies.

That, or the fact that to some people climbing is just a job. Not a passion. Those with a passion for climbing seek the most efficient and fun way or getting themselves around the canopy. For some others a Prussik is a tool. It works, so they don't see the need to change.

Me, I enjoy DDRT, and whilst I'd like to try SRTWP I can't afford the shinies.

It doesn't cost as much as you think!