Hand Cutter to Harvester, Bridging the Gap?

LGP Eddie

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it'll be replaced by a Stroke head on the 8 tonner to obviously give more flexibility and be able to go where the LGP 8 tonner can, if I get a Walking leg setup to help me on my way?

I'd love a roller head, but you need to go up in the carrier machine size to get sensible balance between oil flow and head capacity with another set of issues that would bring?

The Processor is made for a Tractor based setup and it's strength is in it's total simplicity.

Eddie.

kelsa head on 8tonne sounds most useful to me. i used to run a tapio on a 14 ton excavator. mostly processing from a skyline and from sawmen felling on slopes. we also cut some very wet sites by felling from both sides.

when we gave up skyline work, it worked really well cutting forestry roads and laying down the poles to build the road on.(some very wet deep sites).

best machine ever to collect and load brash bushes etc. good at feeding chipper.

we also used it on bog restoration projects,feeding small trees to chipper and windrowing sites with larger trees. also cleared large areas of gorse for a surveying company(pulled with knives).

a stroke head will never be viable in mainstream timber harvesting but on niche jobs like you do and with a couple of steady sawmen could be a super addition.

hope this is of some help ,i always enjoy your threads.

As above tho, the price on a new kesla (and afm) stroke heads is absolutely eye watering; no cheaper than roller and that is major imo..

Couldn't agree more, the prices quoted are staggering, but I've hopefully located something in my range and have a plan that involves doing away with all the computer and controls for it?

I'm hoping it can simply be run through the SVAB control system that controls the Engcon Tiltrotator? It will possibly require different joysticks, but if I can get it setup how I want it, I have no need for any form of measuring device or complications in my applications.

As the thread title really, we're just after a bit of middle ground with what we've currently got and if things go ok or a suitable project comes in look to something more dedicated to the task?

I think it's a bit of a product area that's going ignored at present?

Eddie.

I had some info a while back on the head chris sheppard said about early on in the thread, a stroke delimber with rollers turned by cables pulled by the stroke, no measuring on it, and little electrics other than diverter valves, a guillotine cutter, and crane mount or excavator mounting, I cant remember what capacity it would handle.

I was looking just for a shear, but the info all came together, I thought while reading it looked a simple set up and would fit in as you said between hand cutting, and a full harvester head.

Naarva Grip, I think was the make, and Riko supplier.

I had some info a while back on the head chris sheppard said about early on in the thread, a stroke delimber with rollers turned by cables pulled by the stroke, no measuring on it, and little electrics other than diverter valves, a guillotine cutter, and crane mount or excavator mounting, I cant remember what capacity it would handle.

I was looking just for a shear, but the info all came together, I thought while reading it looked a simple set up and would fit in as you said between hand cutting, and a full harvester head.

Naarva Grip, I think was the make, and Riko supplier.

Yes Craig, I know the exact model and looked into this pretty much just after the 8 tonne machine arrived.

I think the principle is pretty inspired, using the cables to spin the rollers which in turn speeds up the feed process.

In tough going the cables are simply disconnected to provide full power, but obviously trading off against speed.

The fact there it's a shear head and no measuring devices should ensure pretty hassle free running I'd have though, but the 25cm max felling diameter does limit applications?

Interestingly this would have run ok through my existing controls, obviously the trade off is not having continuous 360 rotation, but I can live with that. They did do a radio remote system that removed the need for hard wiring down to the head to allow continuous rotation, but again it just adds another layer to go wrong with additional cost.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaF6yW5oy7s]Naarva Steg Master RS25 - YouTube[/ame]

Eddie.