Hand Cutter to Harvester, Bridging the Gap?

LGP Eddie

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Front mount stroke processor, roof mount crane and forestry winch on the back?

Winch em in, swing em round, cut them up?

or front mount it to free up the back end for timber trailer, with roof mount crane.

We'd sort of got it as Winch on the front links and Processor on the back, or even a winch on/under the processor to fetch them in?

I think the design was very much around Trackside operation if you view the sales video?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqyJ5EQn-vY]patu 40LF - YouTube[/ame]

One of the main interests from observers is can we stroke some through in 10" rounds to take home and split! Easy enough I suppose, just a simple chain or stop to get the right length and away you go.

I remember that article as I'm a massive JCB 814 fan, on a suitable carrier I'm certain as has been said before it would be steady away with a very low tech solution.

I suppose in reality we're just turning the clock back a little as processors must of had their place here for a certain time period and you still see them come up now and again? Possibly nobody has revisited the idea taking into account the sort of carriers and technology we have available now?

Eddie.

Stroke delimber is a Patu, nokka were all roller? We almost went down this route but a logmax 928 head on the swing shovel got there first. Downside is max 16" felling diameter but upside is v fast cut-to-length and higher volumes. FMS were adamant we should go down the stroke route as they handle rougher timber but early thinnings, nowt but chip, track base economics and deadlines mean roller head. Still get the pleasure of hand cutting the big fir!

I fully understand putting a head on the 8 tonne machine and the only thing I'd really consider is a Kesla Stroke head with hopefully all the computer removed running through my current Engcon control system.

Just basic and simple with a pretty decent capacity, but the quotes for a new one were eye watering!

I wish it were as simple as just going through the wood, the sort of places we end up in, and a forwarding trailer on a Valtra would be of little use unfortunately.

The Kubota and Engcon setup combined with the Tracked Dumper forwarder really do work well together on sites where true low impact is a factor, compared to traditional equipment.

Just trying things out and I'd say the Patu delimber may be best suited to someone already running a Roofmount and Forwarding trailer, where it'll possibly fit better into that system.

Eddie.