Your scariest climb?

Cloud9climber

Brought a main road to a stand still felling top 30 odd feet of off poplars felling down the side of road. 1 I lowered got a bit greedy 30 odd feet had to bar cut it to finish the gob and had time to realise it was gona whip when I looked over the top to watch it fall pushed back on the tree to prep for it to hit the block dam thing whipped back and forth a good 10 feet with me on spikes above my main anchor cracking good fun

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a young chap starting of, it was most things but you tried not to show it, and went up everything, as an old 50 year old I still go up now and then just to see if I'v still got it and if the fear has returned, so far even on big stuff it means nothing, not even a hint of excitement, no thrill or fear, but a nice feeling dropping timber and rigging it down, slightly therapeutic.

an emergency Oak over the road in the dead of night, howling wind and rain, lightning struck a forest grown oak and literally split one half of the trunk and canopy away.

the remaining 50% of the stem with crown was a very unnerving and most peculiar sensation to climb.

but i had big kahunas back then, had no darn right to be up in it in all honesty

an emergency Oak over the road in the dead of night, howling wind and rain, lightning struck a forest grown oak and literally split one half of the trunk and canopy away.

the remaining 50% of the stem with crown was a very unnerving and most peculiar sensation to climb.

but i had big kahunas back then, had no darn right to be up in it in all honesty

Cricky Tony, ant never had that sort of fun even with 7.62 flying over me head :thumbup: did you need a change of under garments :001_smile:

4 years ago i priced this job it was a paper bark eucalyptus that was a round 40/50 ft with two massive limbs that over hanged a conservatory and one limb was a bout 5/7 inches from the roof. So i set my self up and was doing a TOM CRUZE mission impossible over this conservatory that must have cost then same as a small house cutting a way when this little child appeared directly below me. Well i froze and then said to my groundy in a pleasant way to tell the lady to get the child out. With the added **** you you shitting **** bolloks.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Choging down a laaaarge multi stemmed London Plane with an 076 (it was a while ago) when a chap sneaked through the barriers (bicycle and all). Everyone was looking up watching me and he just sauntered through the piles of timber like there was nothing going on.

I spotted him as I took a particularly large lump off, everything went slow motion as I tried to hold a quarter ton lump with my fingernails

I was sure he was a gonner and I was mentally filling the insurance forms in as the timber fell, it missed him but his bike paid the ultimate price.

Took a couple of years off my life and I was shaking so bad the boss called the job off for the rest of the day.

Snatched the top out A big old Lawson's that was rocking on its root plate in the dark and in a storm.. Luckily the house was thatched ..as I told the groundy to let the top run and like a gigantic kite it did ! In too the thatch!

Turned up at an ash tree that was about 50ft leaning over a recently built garage and needed rigging ..put my spikes on and foot went through the bottom of the trunk !!there was nothing there apart from one 9 " root of a two foot stem supporting the whole tree it was a miracle it was still standing ... Rang boss up annoyed as we were presuming at this point it was a drive by quote, he came along and offered to climb it , got about 6ft and bottled it , me being stupid that was all the encouragement I needed so went up and rigged it out in very small bits!

My worse and still gives me nightmares was a big Lombardy along side a private school.. It had been topped in numerous occasions but this time had been left to grow for some time.. It needed rigging as there was a green house directly under it and fence and the school drive that was in constant use..

Job had gone well and the Last stem on the tree was a biggie I had been using it as an anchor whilst the largest one at the front that I had already snatched the top off to do the rigging.. For some reason and to this day I don't know why I un clipped my lanyard and stood in the old pollard bowl about 60 ft up for taking out the last stem, my anchor point one ... Any way took it off as high as I could reach it went over but tearing off the whole front of tree taking what would of been three stems with it including what I would of stropped on too.. I looked down to see 30ft of Lombardy perfectly filling up the whole garden and about 2" from the green house and no one crushed!!. I came down shaking but atleast I didn't have to do any finishing cuts or chog the remaining timber down !

There's plenty more but I won't bore you all.

Big Pine in NZ on a 45 degree from a bank hanging over live 11kv,no roping points or anything,had to shimmy up and dismantle it all over the lines while trying to keep my rope and all the branches from clashing the lines. Wasn't really that keen on it but had to be done.