Sequoia or welly?

muttley9050

so the (sequoidendron giganteum) couls have been changed to the giant sequio tree used by different people nowadays

hey mark is there any of these redwoods at stourhead

cheers

andrew

I don't remember any at Stourhead Andrew though there is a monster of a Leyland Cypress, at least I think its a Leyland.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strangely this is one area where i wont be able to hel as i've only turned one or two bits of this stuff and in neither case was 100% sure as to exactly which species i had. i believed it was wellingtonia but think both can be brittle and both can be hard it realy depend on the area, age of the tree the tree its self as some are hard but some arnt.

i do know in thin section they are relativly brittle what is its intended use???

This is a discussion about tree species on an arboriculture forum - and it's proved popular given the number of posts on it this evening.

The OP could have googled some foliage images but that wouldn't have been a learning experience for anyone except him. So, please refrain from the condescending comments and help us keep arbtalk a welcoming and useful resource for people to use :thumbup:

What I meant was why was there so much fumbling in the dark over the confusing names of the three trees when the answers were a click away, the discussions about their merits was interesting enough.

I suppose that someone like you who started a thread to help you identify a Sweet chestnut would keep a keen eye on ident threads.

Well done anyway on using all the key words "refrain,condescending, resource

Etc.

Edited by Le Sanglier

Ok so, the reason I'm interested in which redwoods I have is that in a previous thread, someone stated that sequoia was a better, more durable, stronger timber and that a welly was brittle in comparison. What are others views experiences on this?

Sequoia sempervirens - the coast redwood is a very valuable timber used for construction ,floors etc similar to Douglas fir ,there are several groves growing very well in the uk 120+ feet in 50 years the rfs have a grove near Welshpool ,the Leighton grove.

Sequoiadendron giganteum- the sierra redwood named after the area it grows in the Sierra Nevada ,we named it wellingtonia ,the Americans name theirs after generals too ,General Grant these are the true giant redwoods ,the timber is not the same as the coastal redwood ,its more brittle and not really used for construction .

What I meant was why was there so much fumbling in the dark over the confusing names of the three trees when the answers were a click away, the discussions about their merits was interesting enough.

I suppose that someone like you who started a thread to help you identify a Sweet chestnut would keep a keen eye on ident threads.

Well done anyway on using all the key words "refrain,condescending, resource

Etc.

Why do you not use your expansive range of skills to help others who do not have your wealth of knowledge, rather than belittle them at every opportunity? This is a discussion forum where people come to discuss...and learn things, not to be spoken down to. If you wish to continue in this manner, please find another forum to frequent.

Sequoia sempervirens - the coast redwood is a very valuable timber used for construction ,floors etc similar to Douglas fir ,there are several groves growing very well in the uk 120+ feet in 50 years the rfs have a grove near Welshpool ,the Leighton grove.

Sequoiadendron giganteum- the sierra redwood named after the area it grows in the Sierra Nevada ,we named it wellingtonia ,the Americans name theirs after generals too ,General Grant these are the true giant redwoods ,the timber is not the same as the coastal redwood ,its more brittle and not really used for construction .

Confirms my fears. Thanks. So cladding out, but i suppose I'd get away with chunky garden furniture if it wasn't too long?

What's the best/easiest way to be sure if your looking at a sequoia or a welly? Also is there a way when looking at a saw log or plank?

Many thanks in advance.

James

Probably by looking at the needles. The "Big Tree" has awl type needles and the coast redwood has flat foliage similar to that of hemlock. A blind man could tell them apart just by feel.

The bark of the coast redwood is exactly like Wellingtonia but the foliage is like hemlock.

I doubt yours are Coast redwoods but if they are the timber is very useful. If as I suspect that they are giant redwood then the timber is next to useless.

Hope this helps.