Stihl ms 201 tuning up but is missing.

Greenworx Ryan

After a bit of advice, I have a stihl 201, had it about a year and for the last 4 month been running it on aspen fuel, recently it has sounded like it is missing, I can tune it up so it is running spot on, as soon as it starts cutting it gets bogged down like it hasn't got the power to get through a log 8" in diameter and sounds awful.

Any suggestions on how to sort this?:cursing:

I have a customers machine which is behaving exactly the same but has never been run on Aspen.

I have overhauled the carb and attempted to tune it but to no avail.

It is nearly 2 yrs old and has always been gutless, but that is pretty normal.

It has just had a pot and piston upgrade, it pressure/vac tests perfectly, but still bogs down in the cut.

It is looking like it needs a new carb. If it was a 200T it would be easy as I keep the carbs in stock, so its easy to stick one on and prove a point. But the 201t carb is expensive and Stihl say they have had no issues.

I cannot spend any more time on it. so am going to order a new carb anyway. I willkeep you posted. good luck with yours

After a bit of advice, I have a stihl 201, had it about a year and for the last 4 month been running it on aspen fuel, recently it has sounded like it is missing, I can tune it up so it is running spot on, as soon as it starts cutting it gets bogged down like it hasn't got the power to get through a log 8" in diameter and sounds awful.

Any suggestions on how to sort this?:cursing:

My advice would be to get a T540 . We have both and the 201 is pants next to the 540 .......