Taking/ Transfering money to NZ

How have you folks moved your money about when you travel, have a Visa debit card as usual, and will be setting up a NZ bank account when i get out there as I was advised that is easier that way. Will my bank card work abroad? I cant see it being sensible to carry everything in cash? Can i Just do an internet bank transfer when I am over there?

Thanks

Arran

We set up an account 8 years ago in NZ. Its currently dormant, but when we go again it is easy to do. NZ banks charge monthly fees if not dormant. Leave your money in uk bank and transfer when over there. We have had no probs with national bank, they are now joined with ANZ. PM if you want. We are going in December.

How have you folks moved your money about when you travel, have a Visa debit card as usual, and will be setting up a NZ bank account when i get out there as I was advised that is easier that way. Will my bank card work abroad? I cant see it being sensible to carry everything in cash? Can i Just do an internet bank transfer when I am over there?

Thanks

Arran

Mind how you go with the debit card, my UK bank charged a transaction fee so keep it to decent sized cash withdrawals to minimise the fees.

Mind how you go with the debit card, my UK bank charged a transaction fee so keep it to decent sized cash withdrawals to minimise the fees.

this.

set up a nz account when you get here think i pay like 6 dollars every 6 months for mine. I looked at transfering monney to the uk from a kiwi account and it was like 25 dollars plus more charges on the uk side plus a bad exchange rate.

take your uk card take as much cash as you can out from it at an atm ( charges around 3 pounds) and then deposit it in your kiwi account.

where abouts are you heading?

As has been said mate make sure you tell your bank! I forgot to and my UK card got blocked twice in about 3 weeks. Money tranfers are easy enough once you've got an account out here, but if you're concerned I can pass you my kiwi bank details and you can transfer huge amounts of money into my account for me to keep safe.... haha :001_tt2:

Be good to catch up bro and see you in an orange shirt! The weather is improving now, you've come at a great time! :001_smile: