start of season

hedgesparrow

well laid the first hedge of the season big old beech hedge well it was trees 4plus inch across. only 10 mtrs but laid it and done in a day customer happy. will post some photos soon as they send them over from the iphone.

start 100mtrs native hedge next week. but its warm not use to being this warm laying hedges.:thumbup:

I was always told to lay uphill, it puts less stress on the hinge and saves you having to lay the tree over so far, only time I lay downhill is if I need to back lay some to fill a gap, if theres enough in the hedge to do it else just leave the gap for planting up

well laid the first hedge of the season big old beech hedge well it was trees 4plus inch across. only 10 mtrs but laid it and done in a day customer happy. will post some photos soon as they send them over from the iphone.

start 100mtrs native hedge next week. but its warm not use to being this warm laying hedges.:thumbup:

Do you find that when it's warm the wood is more supple? I remember going out one very cold day and had a lot of pleachers break.

have always been told to lay uphill as it makes the sap rise so making the hedge bud out lay downhill the sap runs out. but as other posts sometimes you do have to lay wrong way to fill a gap. unless long stuff then back pleach half way along. it then rises and goes back. as for when its colder. as most hedglaying is in winter and no sap in stem then can be a bit brittle if on the large size. if the pleach is right it should still lay without cracking. if it cracks not cut through enough. as for left handed i am left handed only time i do have a bit of a job if hedge is running right to left then its on the wrong side for me if i can go other side and lay it if not just have to struggle.

Edited by hedgesparrow

Hi, now I know folks may not wish to divulge, I have done Hedge laying over the years not full time, but odd jobs over 15 or 20 or so years, up hill it has to be because of the sap, whats the going rate ? I know it depends on type and style and single or double, and stem diameter and timber away or stay, my rate varied from £6.50 upwards to £15 a meter is that still about ok ????? Should also say I am good at it, nothing like blowing your own trumpet. :thumbup1:

Hi, now I know folks may not wish to divulge, I have done Hedge laying over the years not full time, but odd jobs over 15 or 20 or so years, up hill it has to be because of the sap, whats the going rate ? I know it depends on type and style and single or double, and stem diameter and timber away or stay, my rate varied from £6.50 upwards to £15 a meter is that still about ok ????? Should also say I am good at it, nothing like blowing your own trumpet. :thumbup1:

depends what style you lay if its south or midlands then there is stakes and binders to take out of mtr poss same with other style. £6.50 a mtr sounds on the very low side its difficult there was a post and it varies but £10 was norm going up depending how bad hedge is take out your materials from your price not a lot left for a days work not that much on a tenner but its what you think the customer will accept. and how much you can crack out in a day. 20mtrs is about the norm for a day unless a new hedge may get up to 30 plus a day. you are looking at £2.50 a mtr for materials. so at £6.50 a mtr less materials £4 per mtr 20mtrs a day £80 not a lot for what is hard work and a craft take hurdles £90 each doing a hedge not much different.