"Yellow Pages" How much would you spend on adverts?

alistairmagee

Hi

I havnt picked up yellow pages in about 10 years, that was before we moved to France.

TBH the Internet has taken over from yellow pages which has complete rip off prices & probably very little return, IMO.

N

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv seen some of the websites that yell.com have done for some of my local competition and its very poor, it looks like the sort of thing a 15 year old might have done for a IT project at school. And they weren't cheap.

Anything to do with YP is a waste of money unless you want more people phoning you wanting a job than offering one.

To the OP, you say it brings in more money than you spend but that's not the point, 3-4k needs to be a small percentage of what it brings in to be worth having. Because there is plenty of advertising to be had with much more profitable gains. Ie parish rag.

I agree Matthew, How is it that so many companies advertise with YP? I agree they are not that great, Ive had plenty of trouble with them myself.

My total budget every year is closer to 10 k on advertising, I do all the parish stuff, have a web site, with thomson local evan though I said they are no better than YPages.

All trucks are sign written, do internet stuff too.

Does any one advertise in any different ways to the norm? Has Any one Spent money with £ per click types or advertising like using add words with google?

I have the same opinion of yp, that every one else does, just dont see any other ways to get more works.

Do **** loads of tendering for works too!

Door knocking, touting for work, and undercutting competition are one way of doing it:lol:

Total cost - £0.

In all seriousness, I take it you run a large company because 10k is a hell of a lot of money on advertising, why not try for the next year cutting out YP and any others you expect aren't pulling their weight and see how much difference it make to your profit.

I'd have thought by now word of mouth would be your main advertising?

Im not a big business, by any standards.

But that 10k is only approx 8% of my turn over, In north east of the uk, its not that tree covered, so have to advertise over a 50 mile radius to get the works I want to do, May be I should cut back as people are saying! ive been running about 9 years now, and yes I get alot of repeat customers, but theres always room for more growth and more profits!

just got our new y/p delivered today looking through the appropriate sections no one local, it is possible it will be the last time i look at it till the next one comes. i think it will be a waste of money to advertise with them unless you are prepared to travel 20 miles to give a quote and not get the job